New to ATVs, where to start??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

New to ATVs, where to start???

So my wife finally persuaded me to sell my jet ski with the promise that if I did, I could get a 4 wheeler (I think she thought I would never do it but with a 1 year old son, my solo lake trips to raystown don't seem feasible anymore). So last Friday me and my 2004 Yamaha GP800R parted ways after 8 years of summer fun.

I literally know nothing about ATV's, I had a dirt bike when I was a teenager but that was it. I'm 32 years old and have only ever ridden a 4 wheeler twice in someones back yard. But, it looks like fun and I'm no stranger to dirt bikes and motorcycles so I figure its in the same kind of line of dangerous stuff to do with wheels and motors.

I live about 5 minutes away from the michaux state forest ATV trails at big flat so I figure I would do the majority of riding there and on my own land.

I was looking at either getting a 4wheeler or a polaris rzr kind of vehicle. From some initial research though, the 800 rzrs do not appear to be legal in Michaux because they are 58" wide? Although I've read online in some places it is and/or people just do it anyways but its tighter in the trails?

I wouldnt use this vehicle for hunting really but might use it to plow my driveway since my driveway is over 100 yards long and I'm assuming its more fun than snow blowing. Thats about the only utilitarian reason I can think to get one.

What do you guys find you enjoy more? the 4 wheeler or sxs? Any pros and cons to either one?

I'm in no rush to go out and buy one as its hunting season and the trails appear to be shut down right now anyways. I just figured I'd do some research first. Thanks in advance.

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: New to ATVs, where to start???

I have a 15 Polaris 570 and am very happy. Especially for the money. They run great offers at certain times of the year and at that time I couldn't pass it up.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Part of the Community

I also have a polaris 570 FI and its a great machine. I also own a Yamaha Bruin 350. The Bruin is not FI and the carb constantly gets gummed up because of the ethanol gas. If you purchase a atv do yourself a favor and get one with fuel injection.I also buy ethanol free gas for the ATV'S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:00 AM
The Man

Polaris has some really good sales on at times and just had 570,s for a real good price recently.I would stay with the main brands and avoid the Chinese knock offs.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:23 AM

I've heard Michaux is narrow & rocky . You'll need a machine you feel confident rock crawling with . Personally , I would go with a Grizzly 4x4 .
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:39 AM
TEC
Frequent Contributor

Michaux is limited to 50" wide. Polaris does make a 50" RZR. If your looking for a 4 Wheeler,I'd look at the grizzly also
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:11 AM
dce
Sage

I've owned at least 10 different Hondas,yamaha's and suzukis over the year and they've all been ridden hard and often.I never really had one that I hated but the hondas are by far the best in my experience.I never owned a Polaris but I ride with plenty of people who have them and I INSURE HUNDREDS OF rzr'S.I personally wouldn't own a Polaris.I currently still have one grizzly and two Hondas.I really liked the grizzly until I bought the Hondas.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 AM

go on any atv ride and polaris out #s the other brands at least 5 to 1. ive owned em all and lots of them polaris hands down.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:47 PM
dce
Sage

I agree that there's more rzr's being bought than just about anything else.I insure these things and I probably insure rzr's 10/1 to all other machines combined.They're cool machines and a lot of fun but the guys who ride them hard seem to have more problems.I don't even know anyone who owns a Polaris sportsman anymore and can't remember the last time I saw one.

I bought a Suzuki LTF500 in 1998.I have no idea how many miles were on it when I sold it to my buddy last year because the speedometer broke a few years ago but I bet it had at least 7k miles on it,probably more.I pounded that thing in the woods and plowed hundreds of miles worth of snow every year on rough roads.Other than cleaning the carb,the only thing I ever did to it was replace the voltage regulator.It was full time 4wd so it was a bugger to steeer and not all that comfortable but it never let me down and started every time,regardless of how cold it was.I didn't particularly like it but it was bomb proof.I never really had any issues with the grizzlies but they all rattled a lot and I hate their IRS.They're very tippy going into a fast turn.The Hondas have been 100% reliable and bomb proof and their performance is better than I expected.I'll probably sell the 14 grizzly in the spring and buy a foreman.I do like the grizzly but it seems like a piece of crap after you ride a Honda for a while.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM
dce
Sage

As far as the original question.It's all a matter of perspective for what you want and where you can ride.I've ridden several different SxS's and to me,a regular 4wheeler is more fun and you can take them more places.If you have the right place to ride,I'm sure a SxS would be loads of fun,especially if you have a passenger.Like I said,I insur hundreds of these things.Lot's of people tell me that once you have a SxS,you'll never go back to a 4wheeler.Maybe it's just me but I don't see it.My son and I ride constantly and I know he doesn't want to be a passenger.My wife and daughter also ride but they usually ride their own machines as well.It's just a matter of what type of riding you plan on doing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page