Dirt Bike / Dual Sport - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dirt Bike / Dual Sport

I have been considering getting a dirt bike or a dual sport. I have very limited experience with them. My use would be mostly just playing around on trails and around my property. I'm not interested in racing, crazy speed or any big jumps. I think street legal would be a plus if I am not giving up too much capability on trails. I'm 40 so I won't be too crazy with the bike.

I am about 6' - maybe 6'1" - and right around 200 lbs. I have been looking at some used bikes (don't want to spend a lot). I am consudering Yamaha TW200, Yamaha XT225, Honda CRF250 and the cheapest option, a Honda CRF150.

My concerns are that I might be too big (height and weight) for these bikes other than the CRF250. I would prefer a street legal bike but don't know if they would be less fun off road. Any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM

Re: Dirt Bike / Dual Sport

I considered doing the same thing for many years . I believe those bikes will serve you non crazy purpose well . Other considerations would be Suzuki DR models . As long as they have all the required lights , they should be able to be inspected & registered for the street . Good luck .
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 08:11 PM
dce
Sage

I bought my 10 year old a crf 125 last summer and he's already bored and needing more speed.Get a 250 at the minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM
The Man

I used to ride and race these back when they were 2 stroke screamers.I have seen hundreds of these over the years that got trashed and turned to junk cause they were ridden a lot off road.Back when they were steel it wasn,t to much of a deal to fix.But one dump on these way overpriced enduros today and you,ll have a major repair bill as these plastic tinker toys will crack and crumble.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you guys have any experience with a Yamaha TW200? I am kind of narrowing it down to TW200 vs CRF250. Maybe a Yamaha XT225/XT250 would be a good compromise between the 2?
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 12:38 PM
The Man

I think the 200 is the model with the wide tires.That wide contact patch will give you increased soil and road stability and would be a model I would strongly consider in your position.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks. I really am leaning toward the TW200 (wide tires) but I am concerned that I may end up wanting to hit some very small jumps. I'm not sure if it is capable of that.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 PM
The Man

Very small should be within it,s capabilities.Do a lot of internet searching.I betcha you,ll finds tons of you tube videos on the bike.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 PM

The TW200 is a good little bike, but overpriced for what it is. It is one of the easier bikes to ride off-road due to the wide tires and low seat height. However; at your height and weight, you will likely find it cramped and underpowered. If you go get one it pays to get a post 2001 model with the disc front brake and upgraded electrical system.

The Yamaha XT225 and 250 are good bikes. The 225 is lighter than the 250, and generally considered the more woods friendly of the two. The 250's came in a carbureted model around 2008 (IIRC) and switched to FI a few years later.

At your size a WR250R may be a good fit. It has a decent suspension, a reasonable amount of power, fuel injection and it's street legal. There have been no changes to them since there release in 2008, so newer isn't necessary.

The CRF dual-sports came in two engine sizes. The CRF230L was a carbureted, air cooled engine, loosely based on the 230F. The CRF250L is the newer version with FI. It's is a heavy pig weighing 320 pounds wet. I don't even consider a bike that heavy to be a decent trail bike.

The Suzuki DR200 is an okay little bike. It's a bit outdated, underpowered and a little heavy. But, they can be had for pretty cheap and they're street legal. The DRZ400 is better suspended and more powerful, at the cost of more weight (especially up high). The nice thing is that they are pretty inexpensive second hand, for what they are.

The Kawasaki Super Sherpa is a good little air cooled dual-sport. It is lighter than the KLX250S, and more modern than the XT225. Their last model year in the US was 2009. The KLX250S is a good bike as well. The 2006-2007 model years are considered a little more woods worthy by most people az they were based on the off-road model. They were updated in 2009 and discontinued in the US in 2014. There are some people that think the revised model was better. The big advantage of the newer ones was the 351 big bore upgrade, which netted big gains in the low end torque the bike could produce.

For off-road performance in a street legal package it is hard to beat the KTM EXC models. They are meant to be ridden more aggressively though, and are more maintenance intensive than most of the other models above. They also carry the premium price of a performance bike.

The older Husquvarna TE models are great bikes as well, but suffer the same pitfalls as the KTM for the average trail rider.

A couple inexpensive dirt bike options that are stone cold reliable, simple to maintain and trail riding friendly, are the Honda CRF230F and Yamaha TTR-230. They can both be made street legal, but it can get a little expensive to do so.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I used to ride and race these back when they were 2 stroke screamers.I have seen hundreds of these over the years that got trashed and turned to junk cause they were ridden a lot off road.Back when they were steel it wasn,t to much of a deal to fix.But one dump on these way overpriced enduros today and you,ll have a major repair bill as these plastic tinker toys will crack and crumble.
Apparently you don't know much about modern racing enduros, aside from the heftier initial price tag.

WMU 3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page