Need help with ATV overnight camping suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need help with ATV overnight camping suggestions

I am a 62 yr old needing some new adventures. I'm looking for ideas for an overnight ATV camping trip in PA. I prefer a beginner to intermediate trail where I could ride in, set up camp and then ride back out the next day. Is it legal to do this on one of the state run trails like Bloody Skillet or maybe somewhere in Potter County? All ideas are appreciated. By the way, if anybody is interested in this kind of trip please PM me. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 05:27 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Need help with ATV overnight camping suggestions

Check out rock run.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Part of the Community

we got a club here in Schuylkill county that would work for you. check out broadmountainhuntingclub

ban coal mining?? let the people freeze in the dark!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:12 AM

I did that exact trip years ago on the ANF Marienville ATV trail . I would call ahead to the specific State park for regulations . May need an overnight camping permit ? Susquehannok state park in Potter county has great trails . Feel free to PM me for other stay over ATV trips in Pa.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 12:13 PM
The Man

Susquehanna State forest ATV trails you could do that. Thought about doing it myself several times.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Part of the Community

Try SSRT Or better known as rails to trails. Get the permit for the year. Its a great trail system, it goes to Bloody skillet now. You'll need insurance, liability only, and a DCNR plate that is renewed. Cheap insurance.

You can camp in the parking lot, or there are spots off the lot that you can set up a tent. Contained camp fires are allowed and they have a rest room. Its a nice easy ride. It connects to bloody skillet, so you can ride all weekend and never hit the same trail. Price is $20 -/+ per quad. Worth the price if you go. Going thru old train tunnels is something very cool. Part of the trail has you riding the road, and its the only trail system in PA that lets you ride the road on a quad.(legally)
ANF is good, but a haul. Pigs ear was the best spot to camp and ride with little problems.
To bad Whiskey Springs is still closed, that would fit the bill.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 04:15 AM

Whiskey Springs is where we always went until it closed for mine reclamation. I mention Susquehanna state park because the trails are good for beginners and the forest up there is beautiful . You also have Potter county Family Campgrounds there and Potato City Inn depending on what amenities you are after . You can ride to the 43 miles of trails from either place . Locals claim you can ride the roads around there , but there has been controversy in the past about the legality of that . Best of luck to you .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds like fun.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dad
Whiskey Springs is where we always went until it closed for mine reclamation. I mention Susquehanna state park because the trails are good for beginners and the forest up there is beautiful . You also have Potter county Family Campgrounds there and Potato City Inn depending on what amenities you are after . You can ride to the 43 miles of trails from either place . Locals claim you can ride the roads around there , but there has been controversy in the past about the legality of that . Best of luck to you .
There is no controversy. The Sweden Township roads (not to be confused with state forest roads) are open to ATV's. Some of the connector trails between the township roads that cross private property is where the controversy is/was.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks Bigbear . I remembered the campers at the campground talking about a problem . I hope it's all cleared up .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page