help needed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

help needed

need you advise we have a 60+acres of land that we aloud bikes, 4 wheelers to use our land. now utv try to use the same trails and they cut trees so can get use them, now jeeps we have thousands of $ damages! put up a gate they pulled that out!!! called the state police they said that if we get any info. to call them???? the only option we have is to shut down the 1 mile of road that leads to our property we own that too any advise????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:29 PM
The Man

Re: help needed

First off I don,t know why you would have allowed that in the first place.Secondly post it heavy and put up obstructions like you did and hide trail cams to catch the scums on camera so you can hopefully I.D.em to the cops.Thirdly stake out the property and beat the crap out of em.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

your right we were trying to be a nice guy but nice guys finish last!!!!! right now we got the pgc. patroling our land through a co-op this will help us. but the trepassers not so much$$$ as far a signs go they get ripped down

thanks for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 12:43 AM
Sage

I's patrol it myself if it was my property. Plus, yellow signs on every tree. Keep LEO on speed dial. Prosecute anyone caught, don't let anyone off the hook.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 03:56 PM

I remember a gun shop owner years ago that got two flat tires and had a reward,because someone placed in a mud hole a board with nails in it.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Part of the Community

In the state of Pennsylvania a road is only a public road until the owner of the property blocks it. If a road is blocked, even just for one day a year, it is no longer a public road.
What you have here is a case of where you allowed people access to your property, which made these people feel like it was public property and not private.
Now that the generations has changed and more property has been posted private, the remaining property that is open has been forced to adsorb the remainder of traffic.
The people that owns these vehicles has absolutely no respect for the landowners and you aren't going to get rid of them by just posting the land.
The mentality is to just go around gates and remove the obstacles put in place to stop them or slow them down.
For some characters the obstacles are the part that makes it the most fun.
For most people, they live in a place other than where the land is at and they have to go to work, so they don't have the time to patrol their own land.
Placing cables to strangle the rider, putting some sort of implements in mud holes to cause flat tires, even trying to use LEO's to watch the property has little effect except to make you liable if someone gets hurt on your property from the booby-trap placed along the trail, that you could get sued. Trying to catch one of these people, they will just turn around and race off and unless you have a way of blocking their escape - will only entice them to come back again, maybe even robbing your camp or burning it down.
The only alternative is to dig holes, cement pipes in the ground, put up barricades, and use metal signs.
A man with a shotgun, patrolling the property for one month would be money well spent!
When the locals gets the word that the trail is closed and that there will be trouble if they enter the property, they will eventually go elsewhere. In my case, now they ride right up the main road! They seem to have no fear of the State Police. Calling the police doesn't seem to have any effect. Having a couple of them arrested does have an effect.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

very well put! my feelings also. the signs (pgc) have worked! with the ones that respect the signs!!! the rest it is going to hit there wallet yes we will be there to do our part!

thank you
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 02:53 AM
Frequent Contributor

How about an update? As much as I love to ride I understand that a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. Since the UTV and Jeeps moved in you should most certainly shut your property and road down to everyone. I've seen first hand what damage they can do. This problem is not just yours. Even though I'm an avid rider I can't help but look at your problem as if it was my land. I'd shut it down, patrol it and prosecute anyone that trespasses. I hope your problems are over by now and people got your message.

FIST FULL OF THROTTLE AND A TRUCK FULL OF BUCK
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

it worked for a while thursday there were 2 campers in tents that were caught beer cans all over,fire burning 2miles from the nearest paved road! said they carried the 2 coolers in full of beer???? we got there names. last night a lot of traffic around the gate? we are heading back there this morning on atvs these 2 guys are faceing a $500+ fine each + underage drinking!!!!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 PM
The Man

Good for you, Farmer63. I live alone in the country and have had issues with jerks like that, but I absolutely refuse to back down on my own ground! I actually chased two 4 wheelers down and I think I yelled every cuss word in the books at them, including a few I made up!. Had a cell with a camera and took their pics right there. Threatened them with criminal trespass. That was three years ago, and I've not had an issue since.

I gotta go agitate the techies!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page