ATV vs UTV capabilities - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
The Man

ATV vs UTV capabilities

Thinking of getting rid of my can am ATV and getting a UTV, wondering how much in performance Im going to give up. I take my quad some scary places, leaning off to one side or the other to keep to stable, straight up and down mud/ice rightaways so steep that the tires are breaking loose on the way down in low range. Now I realize that leaning is very limited on a UTV but what about hill performance? Anyone switched and then had issues with where the UTV wont go?

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Re: ATV vs UTV capabilities

Just pick yourself up a Commander. I think you'll be surprised how many places it will go with ease. The weight they have and wheelbase makes a lot of things easier for them. Beside a very steep off camber I wouldn't worry about anything. Their a comfterable tank. If you can do it on a quad a UTV should be able to also. Us they haul way more and serve a lot of other purposes.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 11:30 PM
The Man

yes, I believe a side x side, such as a commander, or a RZR....will go most anywhere a ATV will. Only limits may be in height or width.......should there be trees down.
But as far as performance, the proper UTV will easily keep up with a ATV.......and in certain circumstances....out perform a ATV.
I was on a poker run years ago, and my Rhino with a big wheel kit pulled several 4 x 4 ATV's out of a mud bog............I was backing in just as deep as they were, hooking up, and pulling them out.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 03:53 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

That sounds great, buzz. We just bought an RZR. Haven't gotten it up to camp yet. Seems like it could handle the logging roads just fine up where we are. It's 50 inches wide, so only 2 inches wider than an ATV. The longer wheelbase concerns me a little bit, but not all that much. If there are any huge rocks sticking up, we will go around them.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I was thinking more along the lines of a utility ute, with a dump bed.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 11:11 PM
The Man

My commander has a dump bed, it is a utility UTV. I would guess that most utility models with independent suspension would perform similar.
How ever, I may question ones with a solid rear axle. Best thing you can do if your not positive, is to find someone near you that has one, and give it a test drive.
I am about 2 1/2 hours north west of pinegrove, but would be happy to let you test drive one of mine should you be in the area.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 AM

IMHO a commander is the best all around machine. It has the speed and power of all the sport based UTVs plus all the work features. The dump bed being the nicest.. Look at the other manufacturers beds, they'd be lucky to hold a decent size cooler. You can pull the divider out and haul a good bit with a commander. The most over looked feature on most is the interior. Can ams are leaps and bounds ahead in that category. Seats, gauges and the cockpit design is perfect. I've been in all the new SxSs and they leave a lot to be desired. You spend most your time inside there so it may as well be nice. These are just my personal experiences and opinions here.

QDMA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Man you guys are killing me, I didnt want to spend the kind of cash that a can am would require

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 05:38 PM
The Man

You can always buy a golf cart and do daring turns in the yard....

Seriously though, you don't have to have a commander to go out and enjoy a side x side. A friend of mine bought a ranger 570, and goes riding with us, and that machine keeps up trail riding just fine.
Will it go where a commander does....no, but for "most" riding, it does a fine job.
Nothing wrong with finding a good used machine either. A lot of people buy one, then trade up etc.
North East ATV ( www.neatvsales.com ) has a 2008 Rhino listed.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 05:54 PM
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll be putting the RZR 800 through the paces this weekend. I'll be riding with a Grizzly 350 and an Arctic Cat 650 ATV. We'll see what they can do that I can't.

Before buying my RZR (less than two weeks ago ), my favorite ride was a Kawasaki Mojave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page