New Side-by-Side. Any Suggestions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

New Side-by-Side. Any Suggestions?

We are looking to by a side-by-side this spring/summer and would appreciate some feedback. We would like something that could possibly seat 4 and have a small bed in the back. My only concern with the two rows of seats and bed is the wheel base length. Would it hang up everywhere? We also have 3 ATVs and two snowmobiles so we don't need it to go everywhere. More something for the wife and I to ride around in. Currently, I'm looking at the Polaris Ranger 570 Crew. Any other suggestions? We're looking to spend under $10K, if possible. Left over or newer used is fine. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
The Man

Re: New Side-by-Side. Any Suggestions?

I have went on rides with several machines, some of which were 4 seaters. They did not get hung up for ground clearance but they did struggle in spots to maneuver in tight spots on trails. They need a bigger area for turning, and tight spots with trees etc.....were a problem at times.
Over all, they did okay.
Obviously there were trails where they struggled with ground clearance in spots, but the bigger issue is maneuvering in the woods.

As far as the Polaris 570. A friend has one in the 2 seat version. It does seem to work well trail riding, and has adequate power for two people. But I would question the power with 4 adults on a 570n ?

I have a couple Rhinos, and I put a seat in the back which we used a few times. Just a back seat out of a jeep wrangler I bought a junk yard. Put it against roll bars with passengers facing back, so I could keep weight centered better.
When we had 4 adults in it, we were always in low range in the woods, and while it never failed to go up a hill, you sure knew you had the extra weight, and they are 700's.
I would say the 570 could haul 4 adults, but I would think it would be shy on power on any hills, especially if you had gear in the back as well. If they wouldn't haul 4 people, they wouldn't sell them as such, just question the power on the hills.

Try looking for any reviews on Polaris, or other atv/utv websites. By the way, the Hondas are under powered, so beware of them. The Polaris machines with bigger engines did a fine job hauling 4 people, and rode with a 4 seat Mule that did good as well, other than previous mentioned fact they are hard to get around tight trails with.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the input. I was reading up on the 570 and they did cover the power. Seems the new EFI motor has more power and torque and performs like a 700. I would definitely want to check that out. We wouldn't do too much hill-climbing with 4 people and wouldn't be hauling gear. 4 people would ride to the lake or some light trails for site-seeing. I'll have to test drive one with all 4 of us in it.

The ground clearence was my biggest concern. I'm not too worried about turning around in the woods. I take my F150 Super Crew down a lot of these trails. Talk about tough to turn around. Most of the trails are logging roads so not too bad. For anything dicey, I can take the Yamaha Grizzly. I really want the side-by-side so my wife can go for a ride with us and maybe a kid or two. My 12yo boy has a Kawasaki Mojave ATV so he usually likes to ride alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:32 PM
The Man

Check the ground clearance spec on the 570, be sure it is the same as the 700/800/900 machines. If it is, and the power is adequate, then it may be the ticket.

Trying to change wheels and tires to gain ground clearance gets expensive, and would effect the power as well with bigger tires to turn. I have never read anything good about lift kits on UTV's either, most are hard on CV joints, so get what you want on initial purchase.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

So, we went out to a dealer and looked at a bunch of these things. The 4 seater UTVs were just too big for us. They looked like school buses next to the others. A bench seat two-seater seemed like a good compromise for bringing more than two people and some gear. But, the wife and kids hated them. Said they looked dorky and were awkward to drive. My wife was really drawn to the RZRs. The 570s and 900s.

The pluses here are that they would be a better fit and more nimble on a lot of our smaller trails. They would take up less room in our basement. They would be a lot more fun to ride. My wife said the Rangers are what the guy from "Little People Big World" need to drive around their ranch, not a fun UTV for trail riding.

I think we may go that route. Afterall, a lot of the drive in getting a side-by-side was that my wife and I could ride together. We still have a Grizzly, a Mojave and a bobo ATV for the kids to follow with.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM
The Man

I sure won't try to talk you out of the school bus,.......and by the way......that's what I call them to.

Take a look at the Can Am commander. Nice riding, sporty, and still has the bed to haul stuff.
RZR is nice as well, just a all sport machine.

The bench seat machines are nice for adding a 3rd person, but when riding for several hours, the bucket seats are way more comfortable.

pic of my Can Am

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
WOL
Diehard Outdoorsman

That is a nice ride, too. So many options out there.

I wish I could buy the bus and a sport model. And also build a big detached garage up at camp. Well, while I'm at it, let's throw in two new snowmobiles. And I will not sell my boat to pay for it either. I'll actually buy a bigger one. Ha ha.

Alas, I need to live in the real world.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM
dce
Sage

My advise would be to buy the side by side you you want for you and your wife and get the kids their own ATV's.I'm not sure of their ages but my kids started riding adult sized machines when they were about 7 after a few years of having small ones.The kids will have way more fun on their own machines and you can pick up them up pretty cheap.Last winter when my son was 9 I bought him a grizzly 450.He liked it but my wife liked it more so she rides that now and I bought him a Honda trx 250 for $3600 out the door.Buzz and a couple others spoke highly of that machine so I kinda bought one on an impulse one day.It's way lighter than most machines and it's fairly quick for what it is but not scary fast.It also has what they call a sport clutch and reverse.A sport clutch is kind of an optional clutch.It's there is you want to use it but you can shift without using it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 02:33 PM
The Man

My son had hours and hours of use on his 250, never did anything but change the oil and add gas. A great machine for a young man for sure...

I agree with DCE on buying the machine for you and the wife. You will find very quickly that the kids get bored riding in the back seat.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM
dce
Sage

You'll also find that after a few months of riding around with your heart in your throat,the kids will have no problems keeping up and going everywhere you go.I also remember the days of constantly getting off to make sure the kids made it through an obstacle in one piece.Now we just wait for Mom to make it through lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page