End of the year fuel stabilizer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

End of the year fuel stabilizer

The state trails by my cabin close down in a couple of weeks. I have about a half tank of gas and I doubt I'll burn that running around the house. Do you guys add a fuel stabilizer to keep the gas in the tank good until Spring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Re: End of the year fuel stabilizer

yep. I just use the Red run-o-the-mill Stabil, and pour in sthe suggested ounces to gallons. I only do this when I have a significant amount of gas (enough gallons). The small tanks such as chainsaws or push mowers get drained even if they are full. It's just not worth letting the Ethanol sit idle for months. that said, there's a good argument for draining gas from all engines, no matter how much fuel is in them if they will sit for a while.

Ethanol STINKS. They (Feds) are ruining our engines.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:59 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
yep. I just use the Red run-o-the-mill Stabil,
Ethanol STINKS. They (Feds) are ruining our engines.
I put Stabil and Sea Foam in everything and I do not have a problem if they sit for awhile.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You let a small engine sit for a couple years with ethanol gas in it and a green residue gums up the carb
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 AM
Part of the Community

Pri-G and Stabil work for me. Pri G is good for a couple years if not mistaken. I have had gas stored with PRI G for 3 years and still the quads worked flawless. Then storing a quad without any stabilizer also fired up after sitting for two years. All were Yamaha. You should be fine without anything added for now, it not that long to worry about.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:57 PM
New Arrival

Twice now in 2 years I have had ethanol fuel go bad and refuse to start until I drained out the stuff and refilled. The fuel did not smell like any gas I know of. Both times in a motorcycle, once in a BMW and this last time in my wife's Spyder. In each case the fuel was under 6 weeks old, and was the higher octane fuels. I always use Stabil, Startron etc in my small engines and ATV's and just treat the motorcycles for the winter, but may just treat the motorcycles every time as sometimes it can be a few weeks between rides.

Bottom line is this ethanol fuel is lousy and it does not cost much to treat the fuel in my small engine powered equipment including the motorcycles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 PM

I use Startron every time I put gas in a mower, atv, utv, and chainsaw/weedwacker fuel. I also use, HPPH(I think that's what it is) gas treatment. It is also good stuff but a little more expensive. They are the same company that makes "Total Power" Diesel fuel treatment which I use in my 7.3
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Sage

I use startron , like it..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Sage

I syphoned the old fuel out of my ATV today, added fresh fuel with Star-tron and fuel conditioner and it still runs rough, backfires when I let off it, at least it will run w/o choke out. Can I just run it until it cleans itself up or does the carb need to come off..Thanks for any help..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:51 PM
Part of the Community

I buy ethanol free premium gasoline, treat it with Stabil, fill my tank to the top, remove the battery (keep it on a battery tender)' and and put my Polaris 800 XP in unheated, dry storage for the winter in MT where the temps get to 20-40 degrees below zero periodically. When I take it out in the spring it has always started right up just like it did the last time I used it the year before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page