Boy Dies Following ATV Crash - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Boy Dies Following ATV Crash

I know some friends of this family . No neglignence involved , just a freak accident . Please send your prayers to this boy and his family .

A 4-year-old Summit Township boy has died following an ATV crash.

Authorities say the crash happened over the weekend while Colbee Lovich was riding at his home off Herman Road. The ATV reportedly rolled onto him following the crash. He was wearing a helmet.

Lovich died Monday at Children's Hospital.

Charges aren't expected to be filed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Boy Dies Following ATV Crash

Is that a typo or was it really a 4 year old ?

Save a wolf , take one to the taxidermist
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Really a 4 yr old . A friend told me he was on a small 50cc quad . He was following his uncle in the yard around the house . When the boy did'nt show up behind the uncle , he went back around and found him under the quad .

Personally , my daughter was plenty big enough for a 50cc when she was 4 . But I was told not to waste my money because kids outgrow a 50cc to quickly . Supervision is the key .Sadly , terrible things do happen reguardless of how carefull we parents are .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM
dce
Sage

Very sad.My son had a 50cc when he was 3.I GOVERNED IT DOWN TO A SLOW WALK and he never left the yard with it.That's how they learn but bad things can happen.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 AM

No negligence involved???? A whole lot of people would disagree. Certain things are simply not entrusted to children of such tender years. Knives, guns, chemicals, BB guns, blow torches, etc. A hot internal combustion engine on a machine that can flip, or run into things?

One of my acquaintances had county children and youth come and take his 4 year old because he allowed the kid to ride a horse three miles down the road to grandma's without supervision. (he had done so many times) The kid wasn't even hurt and they wanted to charge him with child endangerment.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

It was explained by dce . Your example zimmer , is apples & oranges . The boy was ( supervised ) . Freak things still can happen .
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 AM
dce
Sage

This a touchy subject.My kids have been riding ATV's and horses since they were old enough to sit.They're both adrenaline junkies and they ride ATV's and horses very hard and fast.I can go on and on with countless stories but I'll just leave it at,they about give me a heart attack daily.They've had close calls and bad wrecks.In fact,they twisted up about 14k worth of ATV's a couple months ago.It was a freak accident and fortunately,they only got banged up.Since that day,they're both more cautious.I'd like to think that little episode will prevent it from happening again.I supervise them but they take risks and learn from it.I'd rather show them the right way when they're young so when they're out with their buddies in a few years,they'll have more sense and experience.

My kids both run barrel horses in rodeos and do very well.My daughter is a two time state champion.She won her first state title when she was 13.She can ride better than most adults as she runs and works very fast horses daily.She's 16 now and I still won't just let her take off on her own.That's just plain stupid.A year ago,she had a boy over and they wanted to go on a trail ride.I almost let them go because they both ride every day.Something told me to go along and it's a good thing I did.The boy had a seizure and fell off.I made him wear a helmet but he was out like a light flopping on the ground.We were pretty far from any roads so I CALLED 911.Prior to the emt's getting there,all the wind went out of him,he stopped breathing and went completely limp.I thought for he had died.No doubt the scariest thing I EVER EXPERIENCED.tHEY ENDED UP LIFE FLIGHTING HIM OUT OF THERE.Thankfully,he was ok and not really hurt.My point is,unless you live in a bubble,sometimes things happen.Negligence is not always at play.I've been around horses and ATV's most of my life.Our horses are extremely well trained and disciplined but they still have minds of their own.My kids are good ATV riders but they're kids and make poor choices.They don't ride without me being close by.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Very well spoken dce . Congradulations to raising a very talented young lady . As you stated , you can't live in a bubble . But as parents we'll always worry no matter how old our children are . I can't tell you how many times I've been accused of being a little over protective at times . I've had my daughter canoeing , power boating , swimming , ATVing , Rock Climbing and riding ponies/horses since she was 3 yrs. old . Sure I've had a few scary moments , but you can't describe the look on a childs face when they accomplish something they only moments before thought impossible . I know some day my little girl will be a strong , self confident young lady . But as a loving parent I will ALWAYS worry . That's just what good parents do . I want her to experience as much as life has to offer ( within reason ) so when she's out in the world on her own , she will hopefully make good common sence choices .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2014, 12:54 PM
dce
Sage

That's my goal as well.Kids may be skilled at certain things but they lack judgment.That comes with time and experience.Again,I can go on and on about all the crazy things they've pulled but I'll spare you the details.Kids like to have fun and some of the things they do have risk.Overcoming risk,if done correctly builds confidence and character.Things can still happen even when no risk is involved.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

An ATV can snap a childs neck in a second..ATVs and motorcycles are extremely dangerous to people of all ages..Power and speed maims and kills..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page