NOTICE : Used ATV/UTVs " WITHOUT Titles " - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

NOTICE : Used ATV/UTVs " WITHOUT Titles "

OK , lets see if I can get this right according to the DCNR registration Dept. of Pa.

Prior to 1987 and/or the machine was purchased for ( BUSINESS or AGRICULTURAL farming ) it was not required to have a TITLE .

Any machine AFTER 1987 MUST have a TITLE for legal sale to a second person . You can contact the DCNR for a TITLE search to LAST LEGAL owner .

REASONS for NOT having a TITLE ( AFTER ) 1987 ?

1. New owner/buyer did'nt change over TITLE at Notary so they could avoid paying TAXES on price of machine .
2. Most people think a ATV/UTV is like a lawnmower and does not require a TITLE . ( WRONG ! )
3. The machine IS stolen .

FACT 1: Quote from DCNR , if you are the 2nd , 3rd.....ect. owner of a ATV/UTV and the last person holding the TITLE to your machine decides to lay claim to it , they have LEGAL RIGHT to that machine !!!!!!!

FACT 2: You have to have the TITLE to register the machine with the DCNR to be able to ride on public lands .

Best advice ? If the person your buying a machine from tells you they DO NOT have a TITLE , get the VIN numbers off of the frame and have the DCNR do a ORIGINAL OWNER search . Then aquire the TITLE for the purchase. If the last LEGAL TITLE holder no longer can find the TITLE , the DCNR can help to get a NEW one registered .

I hope this helps new comers to our sport start out on the right LEGAL foot .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: NOTICE : Used ATV/UTVs " WITHOUT Titles "

In addition to being titled I was told ALL atvs have to be registered.....but if you only ride on your own private land there is no yearly fee. If you ride on someone else's private land or state land you must pay the $10 yearly fee

This is how it was explained to me. I could be totally wrong

Remington 700
mission mxb320
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:30 PM
dce
Sage

You need a registration and insurance if you take it off your property,period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely dce . What most riders don't understand is , that all they need insurance wise is liability ( coverage for damage they may do to others or property ). Which for most ATVs & UTVs is under $30.00 a year . Most think they have to have full coverage like thier automobiles . When this was explained on a ATV forum elsewhere , most were willing to get the liability coverage to be able to LEGALLY ride on public land . Most new young riders don't understand these requirements . That's why we older riders try to help as much as possible to keep them on the right track . ( no pun intended ). ...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 07:11 PM
dce
Sage

I think anyone who doesn't carry liability is asking for trouble.I'm an insurance agent and I've seen some bad things happen to people who never worried about it.I had a guy call me one day because he didn't have his razor insured and let two guys take it for a ride.They rolled it and one of them was killed.Guess who was responsible?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Also my father in law just bought a 2012 atv that was purchased new in New York state. The guy here in PA never registered it and they dont have titles in New york. Just certificste or origin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page