Poker Runs & ALCOHOL - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Poker Runs & ALCOHOL

Recently myself and some riding buddies have found it necessary to avoid certain VFD Poker Runs because of drunks on machines . Yes , there are signs everywhere on fliers and at the runs that say NO ALCOHOL , but it seems it is NOT being enforced . Maybe it needs to be spelled out for some riders . Not only do some of us have $8 - $20,000 tied up in our machines , but some of us bring small children & young adults with us as riders or passengers . The vulgar language that comes with intoxication does'nt have a place at a family type Fund Raiser . The word is getting out about certain VFD Poker Runs and it will be a shame to see the VFD's lose hundreds or thousands of donations because of the behavior of a few at these Runs . Pennsylvania ATV Clubs have a tough enough time trying to convince the public & DCNR that we want more public trails without having a display of irresponsibility at Poker Runs . It just makes it bad for everyone involved .

Thanks for allowing the rant .....

P.S. ( A NOTE to VFD's )

If you promise to ENFORCE the NO ALCOHOL RULE , we'll be more than happy to donate the ride fees and the $$ for food we purchase while attending . But of course that will be years from now after you've proven you will enforce the rules .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 AM
TEC
Frequent Contributor

Re: Poker Runs & ALCOHOL

Its sad but you always will have a few bad apples ruin things for everyone else
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Yes it is TEC . Maybe the VFDs can have an after party with camping so there are'nt any DUIs from driving ? Many just wish that if some have to drink , it would be AFTER the ride . Time will tell one way or another ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sounds like you had a bad experience in Callensburg this year?!?!

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Actally it was'nt me personally . It was a buddy of mine that just purchased XP 1000 RZR . Yes it was a bad day for him and his 9 yr. old son . You can always expect traffic jams when less experienced riders get stuck or have trouble navigating a bad spot , but when your jammed up for 20 minutes only to find out some drunk is blocking the trail because he could'nt wait for a more open area to take a beer break , I would imagine some riders got upset . I've got no problem with a responsible adult cracking a cold one at a check point while getting food and taking a break . But , getting sloshed and creating a hazard for other riders is an accident waiting to happen . Not to mention the children that could possibly be hurt during the run . The last Poker Run I attended , a small girl fell out of a UTV and was Life Flighted out . I do not know the details , but it makes me wonder how that could happen when UTVs have seatbelts . I've had my daughter with me on Poker Runs since she was 4 in our UTV . She has never come close to falling out . Granted I've had to pull over a few times when she fell asleep to safely allow her to finish a nap ( LOL ), but heck , that's just part of having young ones with you . I only hope that this does'nt ruin the Poker Run benefits for VFC's in our area . I have the utmost respect for our volunteer firefighters and hope to be able to have fun on the runs and donate to a good cause in the future .
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Unfortunately there are a lot of sportsmans clubs that have the same problem.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Right or wrong, they would make far less money by enforcing the no alcohol rule than if you (and others like you) stop going.

**not promoting it, just stating a fact

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Honestly , I don't believe that's the reason . I believe the volunteers are to busy running the food stands and extracting break downs to bother with the drunks . Sad to think , but I'm sure they'll take notice when someone gets seriously hurt and can't afford the chance of a law suit .I hope for them that they get it under control before either happens .
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 04:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

Stay away from Redbank Poker run in September if this concerns you! Out of control. We did not attend last year but even their FB page has pics of riders tipping their drinks to the camera.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Hemry27 , I already heard years ago . Sad to , cause I heard the trails on the run are pretty nice . I just refuse to allow other people to set a bad example for my daughter .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page