'07 Honda Rincon - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

'07 Honda Rincon

When I run it for a while, say 15 minutes or so, the "FI" light comes on. The book tells me to check the antifreeze level, and/or oil level, and also that the fan is working.. Supposedly that light means the engine is getting too hot. Well, coolant level is fine, I changed engine oil in spring, and the level is fine, the fan does indeed come on. Any clues as to why it may be getting so hot ? I assume there is a pump that circulates the coolant, so could it be the pump is shot ?

Any Honda mechanics out there ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 59Willys
Re: '07 Honda Rincon

Check your battery connection,Clean up your temrinals and make sure there tight.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM
The Man

I have had something similar like that happen before when my radiator was clogged full of mud. Clean thoroughly with a hose.

Not saying that's the problem, but it's worth a try... or a look to see if it's clean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Willys. I THINK you're joking but not sure. If not, I'd sure like to hear how it can be related.

bootmud. With a name like bootmud, it figures to have some mud on the rad. screen. That was one of the first things I checked. Nuttin, clean as a whistle. I don't even ride in mud.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Only a guess, but I'm thinking it is not cycling coolant through the water jackets ? Maybe a thermostat or water pump ?

I'm not sure I can get the engine hot enough with the radiator cap off to see if it's cycling coolant, but I can try.

I NEED AN ATV MECHANIC.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My 07 rincon did it with bad batt connection. Also the rad will get clogged but a differnt light will come on tho. Clean your terminals and then check.

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Fi is the fuel injection unit

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel-Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Don't have the manual in front of me, but the book actually tells you to check the things I've mentioned above... Oil, Coolant, Clogged rad. screen and fan.

I first noticed the light flicking on/off when I was pulling a brushog behind it. The machine is indeed getting hot (judging by the heat from around my legs), and the fan runs non-stop with that heat. The ATV actually shut itself off a couple times already. Not sure if that is some sort of built-in safety mechanism or not, so it doesn't overheat and ruin "things".

This occurring when it is very hot, and the machine shutting itself off on a few occasions, doesn't lend itself to a bad battery connection, but I'll check.

Oh, and.... the Honda shops won't tell you anything.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM

No sir Im not joking. Just like your check engine light on our cars.You can disconnect the positive on your battery for 10 min.9 out of 10 when you re-connect the light will go out.Computer resetting it's selve. Some times a higher octane can help or like cars and trucks just changing out a fuel cap can turn off your check engine light. If your engine shuts down and it's not over heating. To me, sounds like fuel issue if your FI light is on. Could be vapor lock? Engine gets to hot and shuts off.When it cools down starts back up. Your first post was only the light issue.I see you have more problems. Over heating. Let me think on this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Fan should not run all the time. Your Honda does have a saftey sensor to shut it down when it over heats. Like some said clean your radiator good! You have a oil cooler behind your rad.Pull it back and clean the crap out of the radiator.you have coolant and oil sensor check for broken wires or loose connection! If you add coolant" when cold "keep your radiator cap off until it warms up!Keeps air out of your system.That can and will overheat your engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page