Youth ATV recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Youth ATV recommendation

Looking for a youth model atv for my son. He is turning 8 next month and I want to surprise him. He already has a yamaha 110 dirt bike which he loves. He also has one of those Chinese 50cc atv's which is no longer functional. I want to get him something but I don't want it to be to small that we have to upgrade in 2 years but I also don't want something too big that he would struggle with trying to control. It would be used strictly for woods riding so ground clearance and stability is a high priority. I was debating about the polaris sportsman 90 but fear he will grow out of it quickly. The other option I was considering was the arctic cat 150. Any one feel free to add their 2 cents please do so whether good or bad I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 PM
Sage

Re: Youth ATV recommendation

I bought my grandkids a Honda 250 when they were that size, it's still around ..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM

5chunter , I understand your dilema , but I would concentrate on what fits his size & ability . Some kids are just more natural & better riders than kids thier same age . But , most fatal accidents are kids driving ATV/UTV's that are to large for them to safely control . JMHO Good luck .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 09:38 PM
The Man

If he is only 8, you will be upgrading at least one more time for him as he grows.
With that thought in mind, I would look at what machines will hold the highest resale value so you are in good shape with a trade when the next upgrade time comes.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Get an 08 or newer Polaris Sportsman 90. They are 4 stroke and bigger than the older ones. My son has one and I can fit on it to run it around the yard. I'm 6 foot and 200 lbs.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 06:16 PM
dce
Sage

My son turned 8 last June just after I bought my daughter a grizzly 300.He rode it more than she did and we went all over the place,including Rock run.It worried me at first but He's been riding smaller machines and dirt bikes since was about 3
3.5years old.

A few months ago,I decided to buy him a 4wd because he will ride in the winter and he takes one any place I go.I bought him a grizzly 450 and he handles it fine.

If you buy 90cc or less,you're buying Chineese.Yamaha did make a 125 cc but it really isn't that much smaller than the 300.You can get smaller sport machines but they don't have reverse.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

My son was a little older when I bought his (10) but I had the same concern since he was a bigger boy. So I bought him a Honda 250EX. I told him he could use first and second gear only and that I would know if he went into 3rd and if he did, no second chance it would be for sale that same day. Knowing no better he didn't test the threat. Once he was older I gave him 3rd, then 4th etc. He is now 21 and still rides that same machine.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM
dce
Sage

My son doesn't ride by himself or at least where I can't see him.We ride quite a bit and a lot of the time it's at night.We ride pretty hard most of the time but I try to be careful and take him to places where he's less likely to roll.My thought is,if he's taught how to do it right at an early age,he'll be safer when he's older and riding with his buddies.I let him have fun and I let him test himself but I'm there to stop any stupid stuff that he may try.I moved him up to a bigger dirt bike this past year and he already trying to push it when he thinks I'm not looking.My kids are adrenalin junkies and it's something I've just had to get used to.Still,my advise is to buy something a little bigger than you think they should have.They can get hurt just as easily on something smaller.It's all in how they're taught.I personally wouldn't buy an 8 year old a 90 or anything smaller.They grow fast and they're capable of doing a lot more than people give them credit for.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport-Bill
My son was a little older when I bought his (10) but I had the same concern since he was a bigger boy. So I bought him a Honda 250EX. I told him he could use first and second gear only and that I would know if he went into 3rd and if he did, no second chance it would be for sale that same day. Knowing no better he didn't test the threat. Once he was older I gave him 3rd, then 4th etc. He is now 21 and still rides that same machine.
Exact same machine I bought my son at around that same age. Nice machine

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Going on tuesday to look at a new Honda 250 as per the majority's advice on here Thank you so far for all the input. Keep it coming!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page