UTV - K Mule, CC Volunteer??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

UTV - K Mule, CC Volunteer???

It is time to hand my 450 Griz to my boy, my next is going to me a UTV for me and Mrs.

Don;t want a hot rod, i want a workhorse and one that can do rough trail and steep climbs. i kind of looked thru them all and like the two mentioned above for various reasons, give me some more food for thought or your experience with each.

Just don't say Polaris...not a great rep in my mind and too much money for me to have a stigma about it on Day 1.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 01:49 AM
Part of the Community

Re: UTV - K Mule, CC Volunteer???

The mules ride like a flat wagon. Great work horse but poor riding. Never rode in a CC. I would buy the hardest working and smoothest riding utv on the market. Guess which brand I'm referring to? Have two of those. We also have a Kawasaki Teryx which is a nice machine. No matter your choice u will love having a utv!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:13 AM

I had a Yamaha Rhino and really liked it. It was a pleasure machine but I used it as a workhorse also and loaded it to the max with firewood and used it to plow snow. Unfortunately they don't make it anymore. It was replaced with the Yamaha Viking.. ugly. But the clutch system worked great in the Yamaha Rhino so I almost bought one. But I collect JD tractors so I took a ride on a John Deere RSX 850i and loved it. I bought one on Christmas eve. A little bit pricey but runs great 53 mph tops and will get down and work also. I call it my little rock crawler because low range is real low and it goes like a tank. The JD 825i is a better work horse and has a lot bigger bed but nothing sporty about it and kind of slow. It also has a lot more hauling capacity and towing capacity than my RSX. I am not in anyway recommending a John Deere but just telling what I have been around. Polaris Rangers seems to be a lot more popular around here. Of course the younger folks all have razors. That's not for me.

Blazer, member #41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 AM
The Man

I have a Teryx. My wife wanted a UTV and we were looking at the Polaris. My buddy had the Teryx and needed to sell it. The price was right. It was after I bought it that I learned / realized it was more a performance machine than a work machine.

Now that I have had it for a few years I am happy. It handles work as well as fun. For me it is a good fit.

BTW It is fuel injected. It starts every time I turn the key. It just sat for about 6 weeks because the snow around the house was too deep to run it. I decided to try to start it. It turned over once and started. If you buy anything get FI. I didnít even try the carbureted ATVs because I knew they would be hard to start after sitting.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:32 PM
The Man

I have owned a few and been around several of them.
It all depends on what you want to do with one, but keep in mind, that if you think you just want a work horse, eventually you will be doing some trail riding, and you will be thankful at that point if you have one that works well for that also.
I believe the Kubota is a true work horse, but they give up a lot with trail riding, as they ride rough and don't have the best ground clearance, and a bit louder with cab noise the diesel.
The Polaris Ranger is a nice machine for work and trail riding combo machine.
I have 2 Yamaha Rhinos and love them, but I do mostly trail riding, and minimal work with them, but they are very capable of hauling a load of fire wood etc.
I just bought (yesterday) a new Can Am Commander. Three of my friends bought the same machines in the past 2 years and have had great luck with them. They are a beast on the trails, lots of /hauling/storage room, ride and handle great.

A lot of good choices out there, including the new JD Gator. I have owned and rode UTV'S since around 2005. If I were to give advice on things to look for and think about, it would be this.
1. Be sure it is comfortable riding, independent suspension is a must for ride and traction.
2. Be sure it has at least a 700cc engine, don't need the 1,000.....but I think the 500cc's are a bit under powered for a UTV. They will work, but there is a noticeable difference.
3.Look at the ground clearance, the more the better when in the woods or crossing streams.
4. Cab comfort, as in bucket seats or bench. None of them have a ton of room, but some are worse. Sit in the seat and ask yourself how comfortable you would be after riding for a hour. Some bench seats are like a 2x6.......or worse !
5. Working load for the box, how many lbs you can haul. This is important if you intend to use it for a lot of hauling of wood.....etc.
6. How well they will maneuver in the woods. Some machines are very big and bulky to get around in the woods. Some of them have more "cab" room, but are like driving a buss through the woods.
7. Some machines have a holdback in the driveline that's helps hold the machine back going down hills, as opposed to just free wheeling. That is a nice option, not a must, but a bonus.

Hope some of that info helps, can't stress enough to get one that rides nice and is comfortable to sit in, you won't regret that.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
Agreed.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 AM

I have 4 friends with rangers and all love them, 1 with a can-am commander and he loves it but pricey.
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:37 AM
The Man

Can Am has a big difference in price from a base model Commander to the full blown Maverick 1000.
They start in the $11,000 plus range.....and go up tp $21,000 for top model Maverick's.

Can Am has $300 rebate, plus a option for another $500 rebate, or 3 year warranty. Standard warranty for most manufactures is 6 months.
I took the $800 in rebates, as those extended warranty's are usually a joke.
I believe that JD and Polaris have similar rebates going right now.

Not a big secret what they cost, so I don't mind sharing what I paid.
I got the 2014 Commander XT package. Comes with a winch, front bumper, 14" aluminum wheels/tires, power steering, fender extenders for mud, and a few other trinkets. I got the Silver color which also cost a little more.
price was $15,200. They took $700 off, plus the $800 in rebates....net was $13,700.
I also traded a Polaris RZR in on it.
As a side note, the OEM add on's are very expensive, and for the most part you can buy after market stuff that is just as good, and cheaper. .....roof's, windshields, winches etc....

For example, the Can Am roof was $500......I bought a Maier roof , dipped carbon fiber, with a warranty, for $300 delivered to my door. Nicer roof for $200 less.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:03 AM

I have the mule 610. Its a great little work horse. The only downside is its only 400 cc. But with 4WD and a locking differential, its like a little tank.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz
I have owned a few and been around several of them.
It all depends on what you want to do with one, but keep in mind, that if you think you just want a work horse, eventually you will be doing some trail riding, and you will be thankful at that point if you have one that works well for that also.
I believe the Kubota is a true work horse, but they give up a lot with trail riding, as they ride rough and don't have the best ground clearance, and a bit louder with cab noise the diesel.
I have 2 Yamaha Rhinos and love them, but I do mostly trail riding, and minimal work with them, but they are very capable of hauling a load of fire wood etc.
I just bought (yesterday) a new Can Am Commander. Three of my friends bought the same machines in the past 2 years and have had great luck with them. They are a beast on the trails, lots of /hauling/storage room, ride and handle great.

A lot of good choices out there, including the new JD Gator. I have owned and rode UTV'S since around 2005. If I were to give advice on things to look for and think about, it would be this.
1. Be sure it is comfortable riding, independent suspension is a must for ride and traction.
2. Be sure it has at least a 700cc engine, don't need the 1,000.....but I think the 500cc's are a bit under powered for a UTV. They will work, but there is a noticeable difference.
3.Look at the ground clearance, the more the better when in the woods or crossing streams.
4. Cab comfort, as in bucket seats or bench. None of them have a ton of room, but some are worse. Sit in the seat and ask yourself how comfortable you would be after riding for a hour. Some bench seats are like a 2x6.......or worse !
5. Working load for the box, how many lbs you can haul. This is important if you intend to use it for a lot of hauling of wood.....etc.
6. How well they will maneuver in the woods. Some machines are very big and bulky to get around in the woods. Some of them have more "cab" room, but are like driving a buss through the woods.
7. Some machines have a holdback in the driveline that's helps hold the machine back going down hills, as opposed to just free wheeling. That is a nice option, not a must, but a bonus.

Hope some of that info helps, can't stress enough to get one that rides nice and is comfortable to sit in, you won't regret that.
buzz, nice list similar to mine, and the CC wins most of them on the spec sheet. We went up to the dealer tonight after hours and he had 3, liked them but look like last years and they sat out all winter. Seats were cold at 15 degrees, LOL...loved the bed on the CC, 1/2 ton too.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page