The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Using Foster Slugs In a Rifled Slug Barrel

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  kozman4907 
#1 ·
You all know the plain ole shotgun slug is the Foster. Would using Foster slugs wreck up your rifle slug barrel? Should you only use designated shotgun rifled sabots or rifled slugs for rifled shotgun? ...I did find in Wal Mart they sale The Winchester Rack Master 12 gauge shotgun slugs that can be used in smooth or rifled barrels. However My 20 gauge..I like to hit paper with a cheaper Fosters slug before I start to use the expensive sabots to sight it in.. By the way Those Win Rack Master slugs shoot real well in the Encore 12 gauge slug gun...I need to find out if Win makes them for 20 gauge guns too??????

#3 ·
They may work in your gun but IMO I wouldn't use them.

I'd be concerned that the foster slugs contact with the rifling would cause the fins to shred, causing instability in flight, inaccuracy and excessive leading or damage to your barrel.

#4 ·
I wouldn't use them either. Why not try shooting sabots at 25 or even 10 yds to get on paper,then move out. I did this with a 22 that wasn't even bore sighted. Yeah, it was A LOT cheaper to shoot,but within 3 shots,I was moving to 25 yds.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.