The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

The giant has fallen

6K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  gdubs 
#1 ·
Early this year a friend of mine contacted me about a big buck he had seen on his farm and he was enlisting me to help him bag it. He had never archery hunted before and he thought our best chance at getting this buck was in archery. Huge 12 pointer, probably the biggest and neatest i had seen. I got permission to hunt the neighboring farm and so the chase was on. This buck became a ghost once archery season started and we never saw him during the day light. We didnt have any trail cams set up on these farms but here is a cell phone pic through a set of binoculars we got of him.

A couple days ago i received a txt message from a different friend of mine, who was unaware we were hunting this buck, said a monster buck was shot almost 6 miles away from where we were had been seeing and hunting this buck. One glance was all it took. The giant has fallen.

Alot of other nice bucks were taken off these farms this year though including 4 decent eight points, a nine point, and an 11 point. Oh well. Looking forward to next year already. Just hope there's some nice ones left out there for next year.

See less See more
#6 ·
same happened to me about 5 years ago...saw an 8 point that I estimated to be around 150-160 saw him preseason and 2 times in archery.....he was shot the first day of rifle 5 road miles away about 3 as the crow flys as soon as I heard of it I went and saw a pic of it(didn't know the guy that shot it) that a store had hanging for their contest no doubt it was the same one. scored 157 green

#18 ·
Buck Whisperer said:
6 miles was just a guess but i just measured it on the map and its 5 miles straight line. Mix of farms, woodlots, roads, and small housing developments. Shocked me thats for sure.
Ok thanks. Exactly the type of habitat I hunt. 5 miles straight line is insane. No wonder he went hidden during bow season. He picked up and left. Just think of all the danger to him in a 25 square mile range....it is remarkable.

#20 ·
Heard a lecture several years ago with documented pictures of smaller bucks taken 2-3 miles away from where they were seen in summer and early fall, so 5 miles doesn't suprise me for a big one.Where do they go? I think they travel more and farther than people realize. Great buck though.

#23 ·
This buck was taken by my friend, Scott. I finally got to hold it today and another friend put the tape to it. It measured 158 & 3/8". No deductions or anything were taken, that it just what it measures straight up. Both G2's were 12"+. It is a super nice buck and Scott is one happy hunter!! I'll see if I can upload a photo I took of it today next to my other friends buck he took a couple years ago.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.