The Hand Warmers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The Hand Warmers

The hand Warmers

Well out walking, a regular way of exercising for me, in less than 30 degree weather, I also started comparing an old way to a newer way. Of course, if it works I usually cling to old ways. And I mean cling. But hand warmers, if different, was covered by both.

But the other day, I was really comparing the old way of hand heater and the newer ways. Seems newer means less dangerous and still works.
Broke out the old jon e hand warmer. Still have a jon e fluid can. It is old enough because it had the lighting directions before the internet. Worked wonderfully as usual. Been using it for more than 30 year, if in an irregular way.

The new way was those new paks you wave in the air to get them started. Did their job, although my partner clung to the old jon e hand warmer. That fuel throws a lot of heat.

I'm now running a length test and seeing how long the newer hand warmers really run. Laughingly, I found the newer ones work better on the fingers when you are wearing hunter's mittens. Used the latter for years. A shot takes a second; cold hands and cold fingers could last all day.

I'm in my third day of testing. But for emergency purposes the newer heating paks go into the hunting day pack, er emergency bag. It make a good addition. Good for frigid hunting; good at home if the power goes out at home in cold weather. And I won't make a choice. Will keep both. Two will be better than one. I'll let them fight out who the backup is.
Besides I have some DIY wicks that are working great on the jon e hand warmer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 01:24 PM

Re: The Hand Warmers

Gotta love those Jon-e warmers, but there is something just un-natural about walking around with a fire in your pocket. The guy I started out hunting with as a kid used his to light his cigarettes. I still have mine (have both the small and larger one) and also still have the old solid fuel hand warmer too. That smelled a little worse than the lighter fluid jon-e. The smell from either bring back a lot of fond memories.
Today with better clothes I do not have the need for hand warmers. I have gloves that the thumb and trigger finger slip out of and they donít pop out till the last second.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Old school and still work great! These have to be around 50 years old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 PM

I just saw these for sale at the tobacco outlet before Christmas. They were Zippo brand, did they buy out Jon-E?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't think so. The Zippo top burner will not fit the Jon E. Sadly, I think Jon E is out of business.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Banned

Anyone know if the Zippo's give off much odor?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM

I buy horse leg wrap, it has no glue but sticks to itself very good I wrap the forearm and pistol grip of my rifle I add a few extra wraps. Cut the roll in half with a utility knife make 2 two inch rolls the 2" being narrower goes around the pistol grip much easier. I unwrap and put a hand warmer in the forearm and on the side of my pistol grip while holding your rifle your hands stay warm. All the Zippos at first seem to give off fumes that I have used but hunters kill deer with them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:38 PM
The Man

I just received the lastest Bassmaster and In-Fisherman magazines. Both have advertisements for the Zippo handwarmer. I never noticed them before.

This thread and the ads perked my curiosity. My Jon-E warmers are long gone but I do have a solid fuel warmer with a few sticks. I'm going to get it out and start using it.

As for smell alerting game....I'd bet that the odor may cover up human scent and that could be a plus.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM

The real old way, was to slip a hot rock in the pocket. Later to pull a baked potato out of the oven and slip it into a pocket as a hand warmer. Goes back to the days of walking to the one room school house, etc. Then the kid had lunch as well.

Then there has been the Jone style, which I still cling to.

In the late 1970's, there was type of pocket warmer that was like an clam shell eyeglass case. A 6 inch stick of charcoal about the size of a carpenter pencil was lit and put in it for fuel. There was none of the lighter fluid smell with the charcoal. I think I still have my charcoal fueled case but haven't seen the charcoal sticks for sale in years.

I have not yet used the chemical heater packets available now. But my daughter does when she rides her horse in the winter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerstutzen
In the late 1970's, there was type of pocket warmer that was like an clam shell eyeglass case. A 6 inch stick of charcoal about the size of a carpenter pencil was lit and put in it for fuel. There was none of the lighter fluid smell with the charcoal. I think I still have my charcoal fueled case but haven't seen the charcoal sticks for sale in years.
They have both o Amazon.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page