National Geographic Channel - Alone in the Wild - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

National Geographic Channel - Alone in the Wild

Anyone see this show? Thoughts? ....

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: National Geographic Channel - Alone in the Wild

Yes. I think the guy spends too much time sitting around crying and not enough time doing productive things.
He did say something last night about the importance of a shelter and I agree with his line of thinking.
Its a TV show.....I prefer to watch it over most of the other shows on TV.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I don't know about you but I'd be fishin my tail off and dang near have a log cabin built by now. He's got a rifle and a shotgun. Can't tell for sure what the rifle is looks like a .22. I wouldn't miss many squirrels either.

He needs to quit moving camp and spend his time moving around hunting away from camp, because he obviously scares away the game from the camp making noise to keep away bears.
Can't say I wouldn't be a little paranoid about bears too, but a stout wall and fire might prove as good a deterrent as a gun or his electric fence. I would have brought some bear pepper spray with me.

I'm suprised he hasn't caught any rabbits in the snares though.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

I'd also like to see his inventory that he brought with him in detail, just for reference.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 03:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have seen a bit of it. He definately took a stocked inventory - and here I thought he was going to be using survival skills, etc to survive.

I also have to agree he has spent way too much time whining and crying about everything. There is plenty of food all around him and no excuse for him not to be enjoying himself.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: tan">"The bird hunting the locust is unaware of the hawk hunting him."</span></span>
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Should have called the show - "I'll cry my way home!"

WOW what a big baby
Wish I could have gone

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i'm not gonna pass judgement...but I know i personally would have kept myself busy enough to not miss human company. I don't think he was as close to nature as he thought he was.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 AM Thread Starter

He should have watched Man Vs Wild episodes before he left for some good pointers ...LOL

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'd like to see Les Stroud out there for 3 months. I believe he could have done it. I don't think Bear Grylls would have lasted one week without a comfy bed and a warm cup of hot chocolate with extra whipped cream.

Ed Wardle was living a dream that a lot of us have... So, he didn't make it...there was a lot that he could have done and didn't. But he was just an average joe outdoors enthusiast with no survival knowlege. The temptation of hitting the quit button just got too great...but I bet he, or myself, or maybe you, could have made 3 months if there was absolutely no choice.

A couple years ago there was a PBS special on some guy that built a cabin from scratch and lived off the land in the Alaskan wilderness for something like 30 years...?? It was about 8 hours long... Does anyone remember that? I wish I could find the DVD.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good post Rugged Hunter.

Les Stroud and his wife lived alone in the wild for one year, years before his 'Survivorman days'. They lived very primitive like they were living in the stone age (don't remember what time frame).

I feel Ed failed himself....he had ample supplies, gear, and some general knowledge I think he just lacked the heart or will to live. Who knows, he may have pushed on and made it but the push button saftey net was an easy out.

The movie you are talking about was about a man named Dick Proenneke, its called Alone in the Wilderness.
It is a great movie, there are two others about him and a book.
I have them and the book, I think my wife bought them from Amazon.com. Google search it, you'll find it. It was put together by a guy named Bob Swerer.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page