Snake Bite - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Snake Bite

I never used to worry about being bit by a poisonous snake but now that I am spending more time in NC Pa I have been reading some articles on what to do if bitten by a poisonous snake.

I realize it will probably never happen and i also know the best thing to do is avoid them. This topic is for what if it does happen.

Has anyone experienced a snake bite, either themselves or someone they know? If so what happened?

I read this on a website about Easten Diamondback Rattlesnakes. I have to admit it freaked me out a little.

"Can a dead snake bite me?
YES!!! In one study 3% of the snakebites studied were from decapitated snakes. My only envenomation was from a dead canebrake rattlesnake."

Not that I would attempt to chop the head off of one.

Let's try not to make this a for or against snakes thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Snake Bite

Dr. Freeman who was our company Dr. up until this year was the Dr. in charge of snake bites in Coudersport hospital. I think he still is in charge of that. I asked him this same question two years ago. Actually I asked him his thoughts on tying off above the bite if bitten in the leg or lower extremities. He told me when they have their annual conferencesw or get togethers/studies on snake bites that tying off has gotten mixed reviews and recommendations change every year. It used to be no tying off then tying off tightly. He said theeir most recent recommendations is take your tshirt or what have you and tie off lightly above wound. Do not make it super tight were it stops all blood flow or hampers it dramatically. And the old wives tell about sucking it out is just that. Do not do that ever if your with afriend that gets bitten. Try to stay calm and seek the closet emergency room. He told me Coudy hospital keeps a few vials of anitvenom on hand at all times. We [censored] chatted about a few bite victims he treated over the years as well. The biggest thing I got out of it is that it's not an automatic death sentence like most people think. Although recent studies have shown that poisonous snake bite victims do live shorther life spans. Not all of them, but most.

Who is John Galt?

Nothing like a good bird dog and a fine shotgun.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM
dce
Sage

I don't hear about too many snakebites around here although I know it probably happens from time to time.I do know that either last summer or the summer before a Penn Dot worker or contractor got bit on the hand along rt 322 on Clearfield mountain.I have a few buddies that were working there at the time and it seemed like the guy guy bit while trying to handle it.I imagine if you spend much time in snake country,most likely you've been within a few feet of them and never even knew it.

A few years ago I was scouting for deer off of tyler road in Moshannon state forest the week before archery season.That place is loaded with rattle snakes but I never even gave them a though because it was a pretty cold morning.I was walking along and just hapened to look down to see a big black phase rattler all coiled up.It actually appeared to be dead until I lifted it's head up with a big long stick.It was so lethargic that it hardly moved but it was definately alive.I let it be and picked the clearest path out of there to get back to my truck.It shook me up some because had I not looked down,I would have stepped right on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I spend a good bit of time off of Tyler Road near Laurel run (i think that's the name). Somebody told me there are a good many Rattlesnakes around there.

I know it's rare but I would like to know what to do in case, So far what BrownTrout said is everything that I have been reading.

First thing is stay calm and don't panic. I will most likely skip that step
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The TWO MOST DEADLY snakes are in Virginia not PA.The water moccasin and the Eastern Diamondback rattlesnake.Both these snakes are highly aggressive and do not reside in PA..The copper head has a very deadly bite but is less aggressive.If you get bit by a copperhead get to the hospital ASAP.Baby copperheads are even worse.Timber Rattlesnakes are timid and shy but if you provoke them they will bite you.Alot of times when they bite they do not inject venom but to be on the safe side get to a hospital.ALSO ALWAYS IDENTFY the snake that bit you even if it means killing it and putting it in a bag to take to the hospital.Just make sure it is dead.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 PM
dce
Sage

Nah,copperheads aren't very deadly at all.In alot of cases,they don't even administer anti-venom.

I'm far from a snake expert but I've seen some guys get nailed at the old Noxen rattlesnake round-up.Usually it was the drunk guy holding the sack.In any event,they usually spent a few days in ICU,even though an ambulance was on seen when they got bit.

I don't fear snakes but I usually give them plenty of space.If we had water moccasin's in Pa,I'd probably never go near the water again.I've never handled a poisonous snake and never plan on it.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 PM
dce
Sage

Do some googling on copperhead bites.Most likely,it wouldn't be a pleasant experience but they're not nearly as deadly as other species.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

rattle snake bite can be pretty bad but bee stings can kill you quicker. Even if you are not alergic, you can go into anaphilactic(sp) shock and be dead in a half an hour. Happened to a fella I knew. Thats why I carry benydryl tables with me when I'm out in the woods.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Can't remember the exact number right now, but I got hit with somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-50 times by ground bees while cutting grass. Man, they were P'd off. The world started spinning as I was heading to the ER. Turned out alright, however not sure it would of if I was severely allergic.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM

A customer of mine who had been stung previously in his life with no ill effects, was stung two years ago by a single ground wasp. His airway was restricted shortly thereafter and he wound up being in a coma for a few weeks before life support was withdrawn. 42 year old left a wife and 4 young kids. After his death I researched bee stings and was suprised to learn that such an allergic reaction can happen to anyone and that the next bee could be the last one. When I get stung now, I take the benedryll immediately.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page