Gear review: Outdoor equipment/survival - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gear review: Outdoor equipment/survival

Wanted to start a thread were people could put what they are using when they go out (wilderness/survival gear) and review it so others can decide if they want to use it or stay away from it. So if there is a particular tent, sleeping bag, stove,rope, gun, etc. That you swear by, or it wasn't worth it, or flat out failed, post it here so guys know if they should buy or not.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Gear review: Outdoor equipment/survival

I'll go first, family does alot of outdoor camping in the summer. Oldest boy is in Cub Scouts and is doing more camping all year round. So we needed sleeping bags for the colder weather. I purchased two 4 piece military sleep systems (the older model, not the new 5 piece ones) off of www.ammocanman.com the bags have a stuff sack, a camo bivy cover, a black cold weather bag, and a green light or patrol bag. As far as the website they shipped them in about 4 days at standard shipping, eveything was in very good/used shape, they needed laundered right off as there was small amounts of sand in the compression sacks of both, but they did include a free sleeping pad (military/very thin). So we were happy there, we went camping this past weekend with the Cub Scouts and the first night it poured and was down to about 40 degrees, I used all 3 bags the bivy, black, and green and was very comfortable, it also poured that night and several times throughout the night I had to get up and go assist boys with tents or tarps, climbing in and out of my tent rain got in on my sleeping bag, but I was very pleased to find that the bivy cover truly is waterproof and the bags underneath stayed dry. The second night no rain, however the temp dropped to 30-34 degrees with a frost advisory/freeze warning. Once again I was very warm, toasty even in my bag, but the big test was would the 9 year old boy be warm and comfortable sleeping in 30 degree weather, he was in a different tent with other boys but had no issues either night and said he was warm throughout both nights. Factors that could play in, both tents we used were actually summertime tents so not really built to give added heat. Also both the boy and I slept in t-shirts and sweat pants as you never know when someone will wake you up in the middle of the night, but not enough layers to really add alot of warmth or make us sweat. Also the bag is big and heavy, probably not designed for lightweight backpacking but I'll put up with the weight for the warmth and waterproofness of it for cold/inclimate weather. Another thing I found cool was I read that in the military they call the compression sack a stuff sack because you just "stuff" the bag in there, I'll admit I was initially worried about how big a pain it would be to roll up all 3 bags and get them to fit in the stuff sack, but when I heard this all we did was put both bags in the bivy and stuff it all in the sack, it took less than a minute then the sack compressess down around it. Looking forward to spring/summer and just using the different bags individually. All in all it was easy to work with, warm, has big heavy metal zippers, and I was quite pleased. We got ours used for $85 dollars a piece plus shipping (limited budget) and I am happy and would recommend the old 4 piece military sleep system as a good one for outdoor/survival.

Molon Labe
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 AM

Common sense. (highly recommend!)

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good point, but also it seems to be in short supply these days.

Molon Labe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter
Good point, but also it seems to be in short supply these days.
Yer not kidding.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They make winter camping tents that break the wind and keep the rain out.. Also they make good winter sleeping bags rated to 30-40 below zero...Try Northface products or Campmor camping supply company..If you go out camping in the winter with summer bags and tents you are only going to suffer..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Appreciate the info. We took the regular tent as we knew it was only going to get to about 30 and the sleeping bags we have (see review above)are rated for much lower than that, the tents we have are waterproof my bag just got a little water on it from going in and out of the tent as needed during a rainstorm. With my son being young the winter camping we do is done in cabins with fireplaces. That way there is no suffering.

Molon Labe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page