Preparedness Books or Must Have items - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Preparedness Books or Must Have items

Wanted to start a thread for other preppers. Something were if you have found a book or item (food storage item, good gun/deal, tip on self-sustained living) that you think is very usefull or invaluable you can post a description or link. So that others might benifit from it as well. I do alot of reading in my preparations and a book that I have found to be very helpful as a beginner getting started out is the Church of Latter Day Saints preparedness Manual. I'm not a Mormon, but have found out that the Mormon church has been telling its people for years to have at least a one year supply of food and other such items on hand per person. They made this very informative guide, that tells you what kinds of foods to store, what kinds of guns and ammo are good to start with and prepping for certain types of disasters-nuclear, storms, etc. The best part is the book is free they don't sell it they give it away. So here is the link to print off the book for anyone that wants it. There is a little bit of mormon theology in there but nothing to bad its all basically just suggestions to be prepared. If anyone else has any books or items they find really usefull please post them. Thanks.
http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedn...eparedness.pdf

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Preparedness Books or Must Have items

thanks buckhunter... it gives some good ideas but I don't think it is reasonable to store food for a year. if you can't become self sufficient after a couple months I don't think your going to last long after that year is up.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agreed it will make things alot easier if one can be self sufficient. Alot of the food items they suggest are basic staples to make other foods. I liked how they gave detailed intructions on 96 hour bags, told what the life of different types of batteries are, suggested useful calibers for guns, and gave instructions for different disasters and how to deal with them.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

IMO these "preppers" don't much stand a chance. i didn't see any i thought would survive a day once their supplies ran out. the best prepared person is someone that has a clue about having to live off the land and can make a plan just to break it the next day because what the planned didn't happen as they "planned".

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:07 AM

I disagree, alot of the "TV" preppers are prepping for comfort, its amazing what you can live without. I can live for a week with a toothbrush and 1 pair of underwear, my wife needs everything including the dishwasher. if the day of survival ever comes,,,,,,,I'm gonna miss her LOL

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think each individual is different and the word prepping doesn't just refer to how much food or ammo you have stashed away it refers to how prepared you are in general. Your ability to improvise, adapt, overcome based on how well you have "prepared yourself". The point of my post was for people to suggest items they have found usefull in preparing themselves should they find themselves in a precarious situation. We take a little from each thing and use it to our advantage. I suggested the LDS preparedness manual because it provides insight into multiple situations and scenarious including food, water purification, and firearms. So yes I agree with you that it will be based on the individual when the supplies run out, but I think we can learn alot to "prepare" ourselves for when this happens, increasing our self-sufficiency and ability to survive.

Molon Labe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 AM

Right on buck! I keep a wild edibles book, a crap load of wild mushroom books (another hobby of mine) I also have a home remedy (medical) and holistic medicine (herbs and wild things for medical reasons). all good reference books to have on hand. all good bathroom reads and you really dont have to learn all this stuff just know where to look it up when needed.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good read buchunter. The Katrina post scripts were real eye openers on the reality of bug out/in. Any domesticated man with a family should at least have a 2-4 week plan.
For starters I'm already looking at my neighbors in a different light...military...LEO...mechanics...McGyver types...a lot of assets for sure.
Also made me think about localized issues(trains) that would force me to leave the castle...

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yeah the post katrina stuff was really interesting. Personal opinion that was the most useful information that the packet gave me. There was a lot of eye opening information about the responders and government operates.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately, the "Doomsday Preppers" show gives people the impression that anyone prepping is waiting for the end of the world. In some cases that is obviously true but not all cases. If your prepping your preparing for something. Most people already prep but don't call it that. We prep by starting college funds for our kids, we have life insurance, retirement accounts and saving accounts. If you have those things your obviously preparing for something. I guess most people think that the government will help them (think Katrina) when some sort of disaster strikes, what ever it may be. Just look at the store shelves when the weather person calls for snow, no bread, eggs and milk. I like the fact of knowing that I don't have to join the frenzie. I don't call myself a prepper, I just live a different lifestyle.

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page