first aid "bug out bag" - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

first aid "bug out bag"

That BOB topic got me thinking about a first aid bag. I found a couple of options from a military surplus store, I was wondering if any of you guys are EMS or paramedics could tell me what I should have in a first aid bug out bag. Something that if you could only had a couple of mins to grab and limited room to store, but would cover most simple medical emergencies i.e minor to moderate cuts/lacerations, bone breaks and various allergies/bite situations. I'm also open to anything else you guys might think I should add.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: first aid "bug out bag"

band-aids, 4x4's, ABD's, ACE wraps, alcohol wipes, cold packs, hot packs, tweezers, hemostats, trauma shears, BP cuff, stethoscope, epi-pen, tylenol, aspirin, immodium, peroxide, saline, triangle bandage, tourniguet, splint, quick-clot, steri-strips, hand sanitizer, antiseptic, snake-bite kit,bug-bite pen, first aid manual, etc, etc...

Molon Labe
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

If you are looking for a first in bag you can go to a website like galls that sells to fire/ems field and get one already filled or get ideas on what should be in your bag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks 41mag I'll look into it.

If an inline is just like a flintlock why don't you get a flintlock so you can hunt more seasons?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Part of the Community

You might also look at REI, INC of Seattle which sells back packing equipment. I have a red nylon roll type first aid kit that is compact. Another good site is Travel Medicine.com. Travel Med sells duct tape in small rolls that I love for first aid kit.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Goalscorer, I am a retired Fleet Marine Force Navy Corpsman and a Nationally Registered Paramedic for the past 19 or so years with a few years as a EMT before that.

Buckhunter has some really good ideas however I disagree with a B/P cuff and stethoscope, snake bite kit and sting kit. This is no way intended to be a shot at buckhunter just some information I disagree with that because I dont want to carry any more unnessesary gear than I have to, I would save space and weight by elimination of this peice of gear. Maybe replace that gear with a broad spectrum anti-biotic or some quick clot and definetly a one handed tourniquet or two.

IF you are not medically trained....you should be! at least to the standard 1st aid level. a guide in your bag sometimes can be a great help, you can get ideas on how to treat things you have never seen of use it to start a fire.

If you have a radial pulse you have a systolic pressure of at least 90mm/hg. in a non-hospital setting and in a survival situation I personally wouldnt care what the b/p is as long as I can feel a radial pulse. standard 1st aid training always teaches to treat for shock. one of the last signs of shock will be the drop in B/P at which time you are really far behind the proverbial 8 ball. patients in hypovolemic shock will look like crap , act like crap and generally make the hair on the back of your neck stand up but will still have a good b/p to a point when the body can not compensate anymore. to diagnose pneumothorax, well its very if not extremely difficult to do by auscultation (listening) if a patient has 2 or more symptoms with a mechanism that could produce a tension pneumo you should suspect it and treat it.

The snake bite kit is unessessary IMO because treatment in a 1st aid setting is easy,,, a constricting band above and below the bite definative care is anti-venom. cutting and sucking only works in movies.

sting kits contain a anti septic (you already should have this) and topical anti-histamine to reduce itch/burn and pain which I will cover below.

in a survival situation (remember this is for survival only and to be used as a only or last option) I would suggest some broad spectrum antibiotics (can be purchased at animal stores without rx) read up on this subject and dosages. remember in a survival situation there may be no hospital or doctors office available or too risky to make your way there.

other suggestions:
1) SAM spints are awesome and versatile, learn to use them.

2) quick clot is good in again a last ditch effort. the quick clot bandages are best

3) duct tape! yes it has a million uses and it holds splints, keeps bandages in place, can be used to seal a chest wound. In a survival situation unless someone knows where you are and you are awaiting extraction or resque you must be at least somewhat mobile if needed, dplinting or bandaging with minimal experience could be benefited with duck tape.

4) a bottle of topical benadryl. this stuff is amazing and it takes the place of the insect kit.

hope some of this helps, I am not a doctor and I am only suggesting some things as I said buckhunter has some great ideas so combine his and my post and then do some research and make a kit that fits your needs.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Wow, there are some great ideas here. I'll have to add some things to my kit. I have to restock some items that are out of date. I also added a dental kit to it.

I have the fundamentals kit from Adventure Medical.

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Good idea on the dental kit, a bottle of ambesol, clove oil, OTC pain killers are good. I think with the dental kit they also some with a temporary filling material. again temporary so definitive care would be a dentist or dental book and some amalgum. self reliance is best, heck you can even learn to suture on youtube,,,,you wont be as fast or as neat as me though! all thru my career everyone wanted to be the fastest and neatest at sutures which you only get from lots of practice. pig legs work well

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

super glue. great for sealing small wounds without stitches. most ER's and DR offices are using the medical equivilant. my boys broke open once and the call the wife made to the ER , they told her to buy super glue and cover the wound again. been out of EMS for about 10 years so i'm out of date on new procedures

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 AM

The medical stuff is called dermabond. superglue was invented for just that reason, once the FDA gets involved the price goes up. I carry a suture kit but some superglue is a good backup. FYI to release superglue use acetone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page