Backpack Camping - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Backpack Camping

I love to go camping. Have been doing it my entire life, but lately I have been doing more and more reading on backpack camping/primitive camping. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations or tips for someone new to it, such as essential gear? Also any recommendations for remote areas in Pa to hike/camp? Was reading a little bit about the Hammersly Wild Area, does anyone have any experience with this area. Appreciate any info, thanks guys.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Backpack Camping

Look for a book called 'The Supermarket Backpacker'. Lots of good food ideas that is cheaper than the dehydrated pre-packs.

Buy your pack where someone can explain the benefits of each type and you can try them on. Same for your boots and remember you get what you pay for...

If you can travel by air for 2 - 3 days w/ just a laptop and a cary on bag you are thinking the right way...If you check two bags for the above trip you have to re-think your comfort needs.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

cool thank you for the advice. I will remember that. That's the basice principle I use for archery I try and only take what is essential so I'll try and apply that here. I will look up the book on amazon today.

Molon Labe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 12:36 PM

I backpack/bivy hunt for a week almost every year in Colorado. I love it! The 2 most important things I can say is get in shape, and remeber that every ounce feels like a pound in your pack. Be sure to get a pack that fits YOU, and has a lot of adjustment for fit and load distribution. I also buy my food at the supermarket, no need for expensive dehydrated "market maeals". You want hight calorie foods that weigh very little. Also it goes without saying that your boots should be well broken in. The most essential thing in backpacking is water! Always know where your nearest water source is and have a reliable purification system, and preferable a back up. I prefer a 1 man tent, while my patner prefers a bivy sack, check out both. A good sleeping bag and pad can be a life saver on cold nights. And lastly be sure to test all your gearat home several times before you head out!

There is no "Catch and Release" in the world of hunting!!!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Zink Calls Pro Staff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Part of the Community

Picked up my 50 hikes in central Pa. book to look up the Hammersley area. 1st thing it says is it's widely known for rattlesnakes. My 1st attempts at backbacking occured along the Laurel Highlands Trail. The Higher elevation sections toward the middle of the trail are easier, more level.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A friend of mine at work has been backpack camping for years and has been helping me and offering advice. He recommended trying the Minister Creek Hiking trail. My wife and her friend do alot of 5k's and want to hike with me so this summer we are planning a weekend to hike/camp the minister creek trail in the ANF. My friend reccomended it as a good one to start with. I have gotten some maps of it, from what I can see and he tells me you could hike it in a day but were going to hike slow/enjoy camp overnight and then complete the loop. Were definetly looking forward to it. I'm going to have to get that book to help plan more backpacking trips in the future. Thank you for the help.

Molon Labe
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM

not sure if anyone looks at this post anymore...but I use a hammock setup. Less weight than a tent and very comfortable in my experience. I like to go lightweight. Also...drink like a quart of water per day for a few days to a week prior. then, make sure you have plenty in your pack.

My eyes hurt. Just deal the cards.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

A couple of things I have read had shown people using different hammock's. I like the idea and may try it in the future. When we go to minister creek were going to tent camp because my wife will be with me, but I will keep the hammock idea in mind for later. Thanks for the tip on the water, I will definetly try that.

Molon Labe
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Regular Visitor

I second the hammock idea. And you have the right idea about going light. After your first trip you'll be suprised at how much stuff you could have left in the Jeep.
Check out the Hickory Creek Wilderness Area in the Allegheny Natiional Forest.
Pa has miles and miles of underused backpacking trails.
Good luck !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks appreciate the info I am looking forward to it.

Molon Labe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page