Are Aluminum Canoes prone to flip?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Are Aluminum Canoes prone to flip??

Surely you have heard stories of people buying a Kiyak taking it out the first evening in the Susquehanna River and drowning.. I just heard this happen in the Harrisburg area this Spring..
Also Trout fishing at Possum Lake in Cumberland county (when it was open). I saw it happen twice.. People fishing in Canoes (Aluminum).
Things turned over and both people near drowned...They lost all of their fishing equipment...
Aluminum Canoes? are they just prone to this? If someone uses a aluminum canoe on a lake the odds are they going to flip it...I would just be concerned that when people buy a canoe and they have a young child in it..That they are not ignorant. I know I would never take my 4 year old grand child out in a Canoe yet.
Now I do have a boat...Almost a Canoe.. It's a Coleman Scanoe...I have had it since 1984 and I have never turned it in a lake or stream.. See it has a rib on it's keel and it 's quite wide and grips the water.
I have also seen aluminum Canoes with an pontoon attachment that makes it safer..
I have also seen aluminum canoes that are real wide in the center like the Scanoe. It appears they are less prone to flip????
Anyway just wanted people input on what they think about certain types of canoes and how they flip so easy... Is it the canoe or is it the person using the canoe being a bit ignorant and pushing the limitations of the canoe like standing up???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:57 AM
hdt
Banned

Re: Are Aluminum Canoes prone to flip??

I have an aluminum and really nice wenonah glass canoe. The aluminum is the more stable of the two.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM

no

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its the users.

Any canoe will feel unstable to someone not familiar with them.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker
Its the users.

Any canoe will feel unstable to someone not familiar with them.

I agree with this!!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The old Grumman alum canoes had air chambers in the front and rear and a keel. They are just as stable as any other modern canoe w/ a flat bottom.

Flat bottoms have great 'initial' stability and little 'secondary' stability, once turned onto the side they will go over quickly.

Other designs have a rounded bottom that is not a initially stable but the shape of the side give alot more secondary support when rolled over as the shape provides more surface area the further you lean...

It is all subjective. I have a 1958 Old Town wood and canvas canoe w/ 'tumblehome' sides. Horsing around you can tip it in a second Yet I've had it almost fill w/ water while we were kneeling and still did not turn it over. Had we been up on the seats we would have gone over.

If you want to fish from any canoe, get out riggers.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM
TEE

You can always add float bags to the bow & stern for about $50. I drilled hulls in my hull to lace in nylon rope to keep the bags in place.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
The Man

Stability depends on the design of the canoe. Not whether it is made of aluminum or other materials.

Some canoes (and kayaks) are designed for speed and maneuverablity.

Others are designed more for stability.

You should practice a lot on lakes, to learn how to handle a canoe, before going on a river.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 PM
g17
Hooked on HuntingPa

Above all else, don't put someone up front who steers on the wrong side and gets you going sideways into a rock. Don't ask how I know this lol.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Part of the Community

When hit by crocodiles, hippos, meteorites, torpedoes...yes.
When you see a big fat wahini on the lake side bending over showing the whole world her cellulite, the shock might make you try to turn the canoe to quickly, hence flipping it. When you accidently paddle into a swarm of gay naked guys splashing and swooshing around, the possibility of flipping the canoe increases. Finally, when a gorgeous curvey young lady in a slingshot bends over to spread a blanket on the lake beach, it could cause tsunamis. That is all.

thundercowboy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page