Primitive Fire - Page 4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackbob48 View Post
Zeke. Mullien , Horseweed and Yucca make excellent spindles if you can get big enough not break in bowdrills. Wood spindles in Pa. can be Pawpaw,Popalar, white pine,quaking aspen, and other soft woods. My personal favorites are the pithy weeds Horseweed and Mullien, the wood spindles are Whitepine and Pawpaw.Hearth boards can be same or different my favorites are whitepine cedar and pawpaw. Goodluck with your primitive fires Bob
Thanks, Bob. That will help me narrow down on what woods to try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM
Part of the Community

I read the whole thread. Have a bit of experience here myself, Friends. About 15 + - methods from around the world, including using Ice. (only method I know the Firekeeper needs the the fire when he's done) Fire piston? yep/ Fire by friction, 17seconds. Flint and steel, 3-5. Most materials from nature anywhere in North America in less than 10 minutes. Ask.
ed
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Part of the Community

The fact that all of you are Thinking survival pretty much assure you WILL..survive. First objective is to stay very calm. The ask one question. Where EXACTLY am I just now.High, low, near water, what Environment? Giant Mullien which looks kinda like a Canasuargo catcus with heavy yellow flower clusters grows in practically all 'disturbed' areas, planted there for you by birds. The outer layer of'rough bark' is high fire retardent, designed that way by evolution to preserve the seed heads from fire. They are quite common where Native People lived because they instantly recognized all the many inherent values of the plant when the first colonists introduced it to a 'new world'. The stems, void of that covering, make both superior fire spindles and hearth boards if you bind two to for the latter. That means cordage. If you aren't carry a cordage bundle, you probably have a pair of boot laces on your feet In a wet area you also have willow or basswood, or even spruce or white pine close at hand. All cordage materials which will serve. All of the above predicates on your wisdom to make fire in the warmest part of the day, not the darkest. Failing this, revert to the sage advice above, concentrate on heat and weather capable shelter. For now, let's leave it as your first thoughts of survival should have been afore you left home. I'll be back here soon to pick up at your present camp
ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage

The heck with primitive, if I need a fire now, I need it now. All you need is a 9 volt battery, a little bit of wire and some good fine dry kindling. It takes up little space in your pack and is more sure than spinning a stick on wood.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM
Part of the Community

Nice Setter woods walker. Looks like mine. if your carrying any flashlight uses batteries a tuft of 0000 steel wool does the trick also. so does a magnesium kit with your first line utility blade is your sharp tool. An old Zippo lighter, home grown in the back country of northern PA, made famous in WWI as well. Bettern modern lighters in extreme cold. Little square of char cloth in your priming pan woks dandy. My prim archery and my black powder kit both hold the makins of short time fire in primitive way in at least four forms. Jute garden cord available in any good hardware store's garden section carried in a very tight small ball is both superior tinder and if you know a quick cable lash strong enough for a couple uses with a fire bow. All members of the birch family contain phenolic oils in the bark which ignite like kerosene soaked even when wet. Most bracket fungus growing on birch species will carry glowing coal for days and serve as handwarmers if properly bundled. a proper sized magnifying glass lens carried in your medical kit will start the coal in any of many tinder forms mentioned above. Cattail head 'fluff' will not burst into flame by itself, but coupled with most of the other tinders will double heat production, hence cutting flame time in half. Proper prep of your tinder nest is over half the process of a quick start. When the firebow or hand spindle is used, larger diameter works better in damp conditions like dusk or dawn. If it's downright WET, preserve your next days' start with the hoof fungus mentioned above. Preferred choices of spindles in order for me personally Mullien, dead sumac, sassafras, horseweed. Favorite hearthboards Black willow, eastern cottonwood, aspen, cedar. Favorite handhold, stone. Carried both Prim archery and Black powder. Stone drilled v-shaped hole one side for fire, opposite side used to properly dress handknapped gunne flints. have on occasion thrown stone at pesky bears. Once bear threw it back Any time using friction methods devote about five seconds to just warming materials, then compose your self..and put the materials to work. Fire 17 seconds. Everytime. now you know most of what I know.
for PA. other climes...well it is all there also. Learn your environment first, then go hunt. In my experience all cordage materials are also tinder materials. One other tidbit..for whatever reason different days require different application of yer huffnpuff. Some days a steady blow, some days the huff&puff, best days simply hold your tinder bundle between your lightly cupped hands and let the breeze blow through it. Thiose days are my favorite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page