LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:32 PM

I say pack some matches in your gear
Marcus99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Part of the Community

I built a fire today in about 2 minutes using a pc of Mullen stalk and white pine hearth board with a bow drill. Found a nice grass mouse nest in a dry spot and used for tinder bundle , placed coal in mouse nest and blew to flames. There are all kinds of combo's that can be used for friction fires, here are few found in Pa. Your materials need to be dry and finger nail soft by this I mean soft enough to mark with your nail. Hearth board and spindle can be same or different Here are a few. Mullien , horse weed, Yucca, Cotton wood, Quacken aspen, pine if not to resinous, elm,pawpaw, just for a few, There are many others you just need to experiment and find what works for you and your area. Hand drills can be very fast to get a coal but are much more finicky to humidty an also take some strength and practice to become proficient, If you get a chance to see a primitive skills event you will be amazed at how fast some can produce fire. Lots of good info on utube for primitive fire building also. Bob
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:17 PM

how to build a fire from scratch ?

you have nothing but your hunting gear, coat and rifle and you got lost. you have no matches, lighter, no pre packed anything, what to do ? and its getting dark and cold.

(i have no idea, just asking)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

you have nothing but your hunting gear, coat and rifle and you got lost. you have no matches, lighter, no pre packed anything, what to do ? and its getting dark and cold.

I know you're asking about fire specifically but if I was in that situation I would probably concentrate on building myself a small shelter first to hold body heat and make it through the night if I had to. Mostly because my primitive fire skills are pretty poor I wouldn't want to be messing around if its getting dark. When I'm hunting I always try to bring my first aid/survival kit which includes a lighter, magnesium fire starter, and some other stuff that would be helpful for fire.
bohunr likes this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Part of the Community

bohunr, if you have experience with bow drill or hand drill and enough light you have a chance to get a fire . If you have no experience with primitive fire building I would build a huge debri hut and get ready for a cold night. Boot lace for your bow string and if you have knife for making spindle and hearth board and can find some good dry materials you have a chance for fire but odds are pretty high for failure, flint and steel kit up the odds, hand drill with the dry proper materials can make a coal pretty quickly, without experience not a chance. BRRRRR. Bob
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yep, 4 things for survival first and maybe most important keep your wits about you, second make sure you have plenty of water, third shelter and fourth fire. I hear what you're trying to do but in this day and time it's hard to beat a flint and steel for multiple fires and easy to keep in a small kit. Wish you well with your stick fire.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have carried a lot of fire starting stuff. I can start a fire with flint and steel but today I carry a couple of railroad fuses. No muss no fuss and they burn under water.
bohunr and Marcus99 like this.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
I have carried a lot of fire starting stuff. I can start a fire with flint and steel but today I carry a couple of railroad fuses. No muss no fuss and they burn under water.
Some guys that I know who hunt out west always carry a road flare or two in their pack. They're not heavy and usually don't take up much space in a backpack. Can be used to signal help. If you can't get a fire going with one of those you are in deep trouble.
Ellsworth and Laylow like this.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:40 AM

never thought about the flares. i am going to add a couple to my pack, place two inside a pvc tube with a screw on lid, put some other items in as well.

right now i have some toilet paper and several small disposable lighters in a large zip lock bag. even with the flares i will still carry the TP, its always useful
Laylow likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:25 AM
New Arrival

Light My Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

Firstly, being in a situation where it is possible to succumb because of a lack of a fire, without an adequate means to build a fire is an egregious and unforgivable mistake!!
Secondly. the means by which (yes you should have more than one) you choose to make your fire will depend upon your proven abilities to make a fire by the selected methods and your preferences.

In the situation you describe above I assume a knife is part of your hunting gear and you have nylon or leather boot laces. If you have those two items and daylight I would opt for constructing and using a bow drill set. I firmly believe that every woodsman should develop the ability to build such a set and should become thoroughly familiar with using it to light a fire with confidence. With good quality materials I can get an ember in approx. 1 minute. If you lack shoelaces, paracord etc you can use natural cordage however this takes some real pracitce before hand and is considerably more applicable to a strap drill rather than a bow drill set. If you lack a knife to carve your bow drill set you had better be in an area with knappable geology and better be somewhat skilled at knapping.

If there is no way you can build a fire remember the concept of radiant loss of heat from black (warm) bodies that is found in physics. In its most simplistic form for our purposes that can be stated in this fashion--- a warm object under a cold open dark night sky loses heat at a faster rate than if the object was covered. Hence, if I could not build a fire for some reason (highly unlikely if you ALWAYS carry at least 3 means by which to build a fire) I would quickly begin building a thick debris shelter.

Incidentally I always carry at least 3 means by which to build a fire. Some of my favorites are Zippo( filled), Mischmetal/Ferro rod, magnifier, waxed strike anywhere matches in waterproof case, knife with wide flat spine (tempered high carbon steel only) to use as striker for a Mischmetal/Ferro rod or as a striker for flint,quartzite etc geology present in the area and to carve a bow or strap friction fire set.

Remember, do not go afield without a means by which you can build a fire.
bohunr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page