The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

DPs and entaglement....

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  BrownTrout 
#1 ·
I'm curious if anyone is experiencing any pullouts using dps and entanglement. I've heard and read many times over where pullouts are quite frequent when used in this fasion. Has anyone kept track of the amount of pullouts vs catches. I am this year and when I'm done for I'll post the percentage rate. Every one set is cabled off with 1/8th in cable.

Some examples....

See less See more
#6 ·
my girlfriend and i run 2 dozen Duke dp's last year and did 68 coons..all entanglement situations just as your doing renny and i only had 1 pull out..and the trap was not tangled or wrapped on anything...it was pulled tight over the creek bank..coon foot and about 6 inches of leader still in the trap or i would have said it was theft...

#8 ·
Funny how this topic came up. 3 days ago I had my first pull-out using a griz because it got tangled around a sapling, even though the previous 15 lb boar was held just fine at the same spot. I've been using them for a few years now and have good success with them.

I think its partly my fault though. Last year, after I pulled some DP's, I forgot to un-set them....and saw my mistake around may/june. So it was set for roughly 4 months. The springs were noticably weaker compared to the others that I own

#9 ·
I kept track last week using all Duke, I had 19 hits, caught 14 coons and had 5 pullouts. All my pullouts came on dp's without shock spring. Last yeat I only caught 6 coons in 4 days, had health issues so I paid no attention.
I have 2 dz. with shock springs and 3 dz with out. Going to a new location this week , will see what happens.

#10 ·
oksus -- What trigger are you using?

The reason I brought this topic up is this is my first real try at using the dps. I had a guy that catches more than a few with these and he made it a point to tell me to avoid these situations because of his experiences. Then I had some others excellent cooners tell me the opposite. At this point in the game I've had very few issues..... almost nil.

#11 ·
i've had the trap drug around and sprung with nothing in them. i think sometimes they trigger it from the outside by grabbing ahold of it. you know how they like to play with stuff. i had one the other day that was drug to the end of the cable (5ft) out in the creek after being wrapped around a log. at first i figured it got caught and wrapped up and pulled out but when i reteived the trap it was still set and there was 2 coon in other traps not far away. pretty sure they got fighting over it on the log and ended up dropping it in the creek.

#20 ·

here a couple twisted up. i don't get a lot of photos it's usually dark. in both pic you can see another trap with a cup overit. The douple caught a triple the next day.

I didn't see the barbed wire til the coon found it. he was really wrapped up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.