Looking.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Looking....

I'm looking into either a canoe or kayak for the upcoming season. What is the easiset way to get it registered so that I dont have to jump throw all the state hoops with permits that may or may not apply to it. Also, how much does it all cost? Any help would be greatly appreciated being that I will be brand new to the "boat owning community."

Guns don't kill people, people kill people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 AM

Re: Looking....

The "launch permit" is your cheap option and is good at all state parks and PFBC lakes, but is only good if you paddle. If you go with a canoe and put an electric trolling motor on it you then need to register it through the PFBC, which is also good on all state parks and PFBC lakes. There may be lakes that will require an additional permit(county parks for example).

Go to the PFBC website an snoop around under the boating sections.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:26 PM

Generally the PFBC is pretty easy to deal with. I've never had a problem registering a boat with the state for powered use.

Coworker of mine bought a scanoe and went through the process to get it registered for a motor. It would have been easier and faster if he filled the paper work out completely but once he did it only took a little under two weeks. The paper work isn't difficult he just missed a question.

Give them a call. They are usually pleasant on the phone and willing to help out with any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemole
The "launch permit" is your cheap option and is good at all state parks and PFBC lakes, but is only good if you paddle. If you go with a canoe and put an electric trolling motor on it you then need to register it through the PFBC, which is also good on all state parks and PFBC lakes. There may be lakes that will require an additional permit(county parks for example).

Go to the PFBC website an snoop around under the boating sections.
+1 he's on the mark
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 01:23 PM

When I bought my yak the dealer took care of everything. Gave me a temporary unpowered reg. Awhile later my stickers came in the mail. 18 bucks every two years. Launch permits are the same price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page