Building a boat from scratch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Building a boat from scratch

I just thought some of you would be interested in my new project. I am building a 14'x 74" Aluminum hull. This will be what we call a Mini Airboat, They have a smaller motor than the larger boats, not as loud and use less gas, only about a gallon per hour.

I will be using a MillerMatic 211 Mig welder with a Spoolmate 100 spool gun.

The hull bottom will be .125(1/8") and the sides will be .090 as well as the transom and front deck.

The boat will be powered with a 50 HP air cooled Army Surplus engine. This is pretty much a copy of my current boat that I have been using since 2008 with very little problems. I log many hours on the river so reliability is very important.

So far I just have some jigs made to form the stringers and have them bent and welded. I ordered my sheet goods and they will be in on Monday so the real work will start then.
I've built many of these boats through the years but this will be my first one from scratch. I am building this boat for my uncle.

Looks like I'll have to dig up my photobucket account and upload some photos to use here. I'll put them up asap and I'll add to this as I get things done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Building a boat from scratch

Please post pictures of the build. I enjoy other people build stuff I could never dream of building. Good luck with the build.
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

Sound like a great project. Can't wait to see it all unfold.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I will update as I have time to get here. I got my sheet materials in today. Unfortunately I am in the middle of building a walk-in closet for the wife and she watches my time pretty close. I have a few more days on the closet but I still sneak out to the garage and do as much as possible while the drywall mud is drying.

post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Sage

Cool project....I do have a question.
How does one go about getting capacity plates and such for a home built powered craft? How do they determine the HP rating?

I built a few utility trailers over the years from scratch but that registration process was fairly simple.

#MAGA..."Mexican's Always Get Across"
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

You need to have a Certificate of Origin, to get this you must supply receipts for the materials you used. You can make a list of materials if you used on hand materials but receipts are easier. They don't want people trying to register a boat that has had the registration lost. All the forms are listed on the PA boat commission site but so far I have not seen the Certificate of origin form. I'm just going to go down to Harrisburg and take all my stuff along, measurements, receipts, photos. and do it all at once. I'll be able to answer the question about the Certificate once I go through it.

After you have this the boat commission will assign a serial number to the boat. You can then fill out all the forms for the capacity plate. HP ratings and capacity plates have changed recently, all of this is suggested but I'm sure they have a formula and won't allow you to go overboard with it. I would just look at a boat spec online that is similar to your boat as far as size and use those numbers. Again as I go through this I will post how I did it and what forms I use since this is a PA based board.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I got all my pieces cut today for the sides and put the bottom sheet on the table to make the cuts. I was concerned about what the material would do when making the bends so I made a paper boat. I know folks like photos so here is my paper boat.

I'll start putting the pieces together tomorrow.

This hull would make a great hull for a 25 and up jet also with little changes. A tunnel and stronger transom built for the motor and it would be a river runner. the boat will be 14 ft long and have a beam of 74" with a 5 ft bottom. This boat has 20 inch sides.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I got some assembly done today. I put the front pieces on and got the bottom all pieced on. I like to do the bottom of these in two pieces because it adds a little strength and with my design it puts a little "step" right where the boat should run when on plane. This point is a little over 4 feet from the back of the boat. I'm not really sure if the little step works but it sure can't hurt it.

I will just tack everything then go back and finish once I have the hull formed. I did weld the bottom completely where it would be hard to get at once the sides are on. I have to work smart because I don't get around very well. I've had 8 knee surgeries and I'm still not fixed. I should get the rest of the front on and the sides tomorrow. I already have the pieces cut so all I have to do is put them on. In these photos I hadn't got the second piece on the bottom, I was going to quit there for the day but decided to go back out.

post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 01:41 AM
The Man

Papee, this is an awesome thread. Looking forward to the story.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti
Papee, this is an awesome thread. Looking forward to the story.
+1

Keep us updated.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page