Talk to me about props and pitch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Talk to me about props and pitch

I bought a bass boat, the darn thing is all top end, either its wallowing in the surf like a big pig or its going 60mphs across the water, its looks like I need a 4 blade prop, with a lower pitch. My current prop is a 3 blade, 14 1/2 x 24, whats would be the logical prop/pitch to put on for better mid range and faster planning.

Founder and Proud Member Potter County Hunting Stinks Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: Talk to me about props and pitch

FYI. The engine is a 150hp Johnson

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
The Man

You want your max RPM at WOT to be 5400-5600. Each degree of pitch you go up generally takes you down 100 RPM at WOT. Each degree of pitch you go down generally takes you up 100 RPM at WOT.

Not sure you really need to get into a 4-blade unless you're pulling tubers or skiiers with your bass boat.

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I was thinking 4 blade after reading this

"3-blade or 4-blade Propeller?
Basically the difference between using a 3 blade or 4 blade propeller can be seen in the boat's handling and performance.
Three-blade propellers are the most popular and are good for general, all-purpose use. They provide good acceleration and control, and excellent top speed performance. Please note: Aluminum propellers are ONLY available in a 3 blade design.

The 4 blade design (stainless steel)is popular with boaters who are looking for a good hole shot, better acceleration, and better bow lift (higher trim angle) to reduce boat drag (too much of boat in water- reducing top end speed).
Important: 4 blade designs allow your boat to stay on plane at a lower rpm - Producing a slower cruising speed without loss of plane of the boat in rough seas and conditions.
Renegade props (4 blade) are of an excellent design -allowing better top end, speed, with minimal drag."

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
The Man

I am running a different hull design than you, I am sure. Mine is a deeper V fiberglass hull.

I run a Johnson 115 and had a 17 pitch 3-blade which topped out at a nice 5400 RPM @ 41 mph. Since I was pulling kids on tubes at times I switched to a Solas Amita 17 pitch 4-blade prop (which is aluminum). I notice a LITTLE better holeshot, mayyyyybe a little better cornering and bow lift, but not much. And I have about a 4 mph decrease in top end speed. Was it worth it ??? Dunno. The prop was only around $100. So it's pretty much a toss up in this case.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Ive found a 4blade stainless with a 21 pitch for 150, its brand new, I think Im going to buy it, see how it does, just have to watch the RPM at WTO. Id take a 15mph decrease if it would run at 10mph and not have to stand up to see whats in front of me.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM
The Man

A 21 should bring you up 300 RPM at WOT, increase the power in your holeshot and reduce your time to plane.

If you have $150 to toss, go ahead and get the 21 pitch. You may want to take your boat back out and run it again as-is and see what your RPM is at WOT to get a more precise idea of where you need to be BEFORE yo start spending $$ though.

demokraten saugen
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 AM

don't know if you have a boat shop near you that would let you but the guy I deal with let me try out four different props till I found the right one . he just told me if I run one into the ground I bought it. I have a 19 ft nitro with a 150 found a four blade lost to much top end . and in many bass boats you are not going to be able to go 10 mph without the bow rising . what kind of boat are you running?

Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Diameter also plays a role. For every 1 you go up you lose 400 rpm if my memory serves me correctly.

Not all props perform the same either a 14 1/2 from manufacturer A will not run the same as manufacturer B

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page