55 johnson problems - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

55 johnson problems

Well my restored 55 johnson is starting to give me trouble. it fires up cold on the first or 2nd pull. then after i shut it off, even if its 2 hours later , it hates to start back up. doesnt even sound like it want to but after about 15 or 20 pulls once it makes a sound like it wants to go, it fires up in about 3 or 4 more pulls. i bought new plugs, gonna replace this week. old ones didnt see bad to me tho. i got some cleaning oil and ethenal treatment for the gas(20-1) mix running in it. the original gas tank has 2 lines, fuel and air and once its pressureized in the summer, the lines are always cracking where they go over the nipples. should i get a pressure relief valve? Does it sound like its flooding? i know without being there its hard to diagnose online, but does anything stand out as a possible problem to anyone?

We Are...PENN STATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: 55 johnson problems

It might be an ignition problem. What year is it?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

With what we don't know which is a lot check your coils.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Also if you have bad fuel lines you need to fix that issue also.

There are some great forums out there, check them out but you will have to provide better info to them for them to help you out. Do a search for Johnson outboard forums.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 AM

I had a 70 HP Evinrude that I got for my kids when they were small and it did the same thing. Mine was electric start but fired up when cold but if the engine was warm or it was really hot out the boat didn't want to fire.
Problem was they had a CDI ignition and used a power power pack mounted on the side of the engine.
When you have a problem starting check and see if your getting spark at the plugs, the 70 was a 3 cyl and when the pack was slightly warm it would not start and only had spark to the bottom plug.
After I changed the CDI pack the engine ran like a charm.
In the 6 years I held onto the boat for the kids I replaced the power pack 2 additional times
If you have cracks in the fuel line or the primer ball change them out too. If the engine [censored] in air instead of fuel its not going to run well.

Also the tank and engine fuel connections have little O rings and they get torn or sloppy they will also suck in air affecting the fuel delivery. You used to be able to buy just the O rings but now you may have to replace the whole plug ends.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM

iboats has an entire forum dedicated to Johnson/Evinrude motors and troubleshooting. Fantastic site for boating
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

marineengine.com has a lot of helpful posters/mechanics on it that can help as well.

Suburban redneck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all your suggestions. The fuel lines only seem bad right where they go over the nipples. once or twice a year i slice of an inch or two and other than that it seems fine. Someone suggested drilling a small hole or opening the gas cap just a bit to vent out the pressure. i found the iboats site, thanks. this engine was supposedly redone year before I got it. repainted and cleaned 3 years ago but not sure what all they replaced.

We Are...PENN STATE
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardmaniac
thanks for all your suggestions. The fuel lines only seem bad right where they go over the nipples. once or twice a year i slice of an inch or two and other than that it seems fine.
Ethanol will eat away the older style fuel lines from the inside out. This could cause bits of the fuel line to clog your jets which could be part of the problem. I suggest replacing the lines with new ones if you can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page