Downriggers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Downriggers?

Thinking of buying a pair for the boat. However, I don't know anything about them. I would really appreciate any help I could get. Anyone in SEPA have any and would be willing to show me how they work in real life? I've seen videos online etc. but nothing beats hands on.

As far as what I'm looking for. I really don't want to spend more than $180 each.

I want something I can remove from the boat when not in use as I have a rather expensive boat cover I'd like to continue to use. So I would want something with a base that I can just slide/lock the down rigger onto when needed.

I was looking at Walker Downriggers Lake Master. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Downriggers?

Just got a scotty electric 30 inch boom,will be trying them out. Hand crank work fine and are cheaper ,scotty or cannon.They come with a good selection of mounts some are removable,some the base stays mounted,some attach to rails or rod holders.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I picked up a pair of hardly used Walker Lakemasters from eBay for half of what one costs new. Should have them here sometime this week and I'm itching to try them out.

Any suggestions on techniques? Any type of rod (spinning, conventional) will work with the downrigger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll need to get large level wind reels, preferably with line counters, and down rigger rods. The rods are not expensive but will handle the abuse of being used with the riggers.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What will you be fishing for?

It's not luck if success is consistent.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo93
What will you be fishing for?
No clue... I planned on using them @ Blue Marsh or the Allegheny Reservoir when I take the boat to camp. Maybe trolling the Delaware river or bay but as to what type of fish I'd target.... I'd be happy with whatever takes the lure
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Pick up some okuma magda trolling rod reel combos. Got mine for around 70$. Spool those up with some 15 or 20lb mono. Tie on a swivel and run 8' of a lighter leader 10lb for walleye 30 for salmon and so on, match the leader to the species. then tie on your lure, let out about 50 feet of line then clip the line to the release and put the rod in the holder on the downrigger, set the reel to free spool but make sure the clicker is on and lower the ball down to about 5 feet above the depth the fish are at. Now take the reel off free spool and wind in some line until the rod has a pretty good bow in it but wont pop loose from the release. This is the hardest part to get good at is setting the right tension to not false trip but light enough you dont plug up your lines hauling around a small fish for 2 hours. Im speaking from experience on that one! Theyre fun for sure, enjoy!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Obviously if you are running a 30# leader for salmon your going to want more like 40# on the reel. And I almost forgot, youll need a depth finder, never set your down riggers any closer than 10 feet off the bottom or a sudden change in contour could catch your ball and rip your downrigger right off the boat.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rambo, is giving great advice on the down rigger coming right off. He only skipped the part of it sounding like a mortor exploding.

The United States of America has the greatest people on earth.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

I have Penns and they work well. They have a base mount where I can take the downrigger out of the way or remove them from the boat when I don't need them.
I use them for blues, tuna or shark and have never had an issue.
The Penns I have held up well in saltwater are very low maintenance and except for some sun fade on the crank look as good as the day I purchased them.
The downrigger lets you place your baits right where the fish are and allow you to fight the fish without draging a pound of lead alond with it.
Using them has allowed me to fight much bigger fish on lighter tackle then I ever would have been able to do without them.

Good Luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page