not happy with my repower - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

not happy with my repower

I just repowered my boat and was not happy with the results. I have an older 23 foot Robalo and switched up from a 150 Evenrude 2 cycle to a new 225 HP model E225DCZ and am not happy with how the boat handles.
My top end is slower than with the old engine and the fuel is burning around .9 mpg.
Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Re: not happy with my repower

Good Luck with your new engine.
I find it hard to believe you got more top end speed out of your old engine then you are with with the new one. Robaloís are a heavy boat and I think it was underpowered with the 150 so there must be some other issue for the loss of speed and burning more fuel.

I have a 25 ft Grady White that I repowered 2 seasons ago and went from 2 200 HP Yamahaís to 2 200 Mercury Veradoís and didnít like how the boat handled either. It was slower at WOT by 3 MPH and hopped like a bunny out of the water going against the tide. It also lost its bite going through the Rips and inlet. I started to feel I made the wrong choice. I went back to the dealer and he started changing out props. Since he was using his demo props and he changed them it didnít matter to me how many times he had to change them, I wasnít happy and for what I paid for the motors he had to make it right.
It took 6 prop changes to get where I could live with the results. Some gave me more MPG but were slower, others didnít have the biting power needed to move the weight of the boat, 205 gal of fuel and 5 fisherman and gear.
They ended up putting on 4 blades, 15.25Ē props. End result Iím still 3 MPH slower than with the old engines, but get better fuel and the butt of the boat holds the inlet and rips like there were tires on the back.
Talk to whoever you brought the engine from and let him know what your concerns are. In my case it was more the props then the engine and I am sure you will find the same with your situation.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: not happy with my repower

That 225 hp is probably twice the weight of your 150. Like Birch says, fiddle with the props.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page