oil gas mixture - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

oil gas mixture

what would the mix be for an older Johnson 35 hp motor.thanks in advance.I have a 6 gallon tank.

love to hunt :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM

Re: oil gas mixture

I had an older Johnson 18 for a while that was 50:1.. Not sure how old "older" is.. Check out the forums on iboats, tons of good info
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Go to Tinboats.net and look at the stickeys in the 'Motor' section, lot of info for older outboards.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

THANKS for the info.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM

How old is the motor? Engines back in the 60's were a 24/1 mix, 70's and 80's were 50/1 mix.
In the late 80's they started using the VRO system where the oil mixed automatically with the fuel and the rate of mixture varied depending on the load on the engine.
Personally I would not worry about being a little heavy on the oil since the worst that happens is you may need to clean/replace plugs during the year. Never saw an engine get scuffed cylinder walls from too much oil.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
How old is the motor? Engines back in the 60's were a 24/1 mix, 70's and 80's were 50/1 mix.
In the late 80's they started using the VRO system where the oil mixed automatically with the fuel and the rate of mixture varied depending on the load on the engine.
Personally I would not worry about being a little heavy on the oil since the worst that happens is you may need to clean/replace plugs during the year. Never saw an engine get scuffed cylinder walls from too much oil.
My pappy's Sears Elgin outboards from the 40's were 3/4 pint to the gal.

His one tackle bos had one divided tray filled w/ sparkplugs. Every summer b/4 our trip to Ontario i would take a box full of used plugs to work and sandblast them and and test them in a device that used air pressure to simulate compression and a button you pressed to fire the plug.

We left a blue haze behind us when trolling just above idle. The stuff on tinboats says they will do ok on 1/2 pint/gal but when I get out the one I still have [1947 2.5hp.] I will go w/ the heavy ratio. It was put away, dry, in the 70's and still has compression. I need to hold the plug wire and spin it over to check the spark. If it has spark, I know it will run again someday.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 08:25 PM

For a short period in the early 80's Johnson recommended 100 : 1 for their current motor. That did not work out too well and they notified buyers of those motors to use 50 : 1. There may be some out there with 100 : 1 markings.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Its a 1999 johnson 25 HP.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM

I had a 1990 25 Johnson for the kids and i used 50:1 That was using the TCW-3 rated outboard oil.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 03:06 AM
The Man

In the absence of a VRO system (which I don't think ever came on 35's) it would be a 50:1 engine.

My 1984 Johnson V4 115 hp is (was) a VRO engine. There were some issues with the VRO pumps not working all the time. So I took it all off and mix mine at 50:1 too.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page