Kayak, Canoe owners may have to pay for registrati - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Kayak, Canoe owners may have to pay for registrati

I was reading the March 1 2013 Pennsylvania Outdoor news (page 4) and ran across this article. It seems the PFBC is going to approach legislators to get the OK to make registering non-motorized craft mandatory.

I looked on-line to try and find a link with no luck but I did cut the article out of the Outdoor News so it is factual. From the looks of it the PFBC gets revenue back from the Coast Guard for each registration.

If anyone can find a link to the article please post it.

This one could get troublesome for non-powered boat owners because part of current registration is proving you paid tax on the purchase of the boat.

White House moves to ban shredded cheese...Wants to make America grate again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Sage

Re: Kayak, Canoe owners may have to pay for registrati

I see o harm in that.

Sure, another fee to a state agency. What is it now $12 for two years?

But the lakes and streams are there because of the fee's in the first place. Second, some of the lakes are being drained due to lack of funds to repair dams.

We get what we pay for and maintain. Complaining will not provide the maintenance required for these special places in the long term.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You are already required to purchase a launch permit to use PF&B commission operated and maintained waterways. The launch permits are $10 for one year or $18 for 2 years.
Sounds to me like they'd be losing money by doing this.

"Now that you brought that up hang onto your paddle, and if ya hit any rocks don't hit em with ya head" Lewis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All State Park,PFBC,GL and ACOE lakes require permits now. About the only places you don't need one is on a private lake or at your bungalow along a river(as long as you don't use a PFBC launch)

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
I see o harm in that.

Sure, another fee to a state agency. What is it now $12 for two years?
It's not so much the fee but the registration process....as in proving you paid state sales tax on the purchase of the craft. How about those numbers on the hull? Who is responsible for sending in the sales tax in private deals because registrations are not titles?

All this is still preliminary and stuff to be worked out but I think this isn't going to be popular with most folks.

Current regs for registering non-motorized craft.
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/faqregt.htm#5

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Sage

The bigger issue remains, PFBC needs cash to fix the dams and keep fish hatcheries open. It has to come from somewhere.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I think another issue is kayaks, canoes, and sailboats are used more on a recreational basis than actual fishing.
Let them jack up licenses and stamps to cover hatcheries.

Another question I would have; and maybe you know the answer, does such a move cut the DCNR out of the picture because they also issue launch permits as registration I believe falls specifically in the PFBC's realm?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 PM
New Arrival

I saw the same article. My family currently owns three kayaks, I get launch permits for every one of them. It is 18.00 for a two year permit. What gets me about the launch permits is this, I have to provide the make, model, year, color and hull ID number when I register for launch permits.
When the Fish and Boat Commission mails them to me, they put a disclaimer in the envelope which states, "If your boat becomes lost or stolen, Use Permit decals will not assist with its recovery, because they are not recorded." I then ask myself why do I have to provide all the information then??
I suggest this, if they need to get more money, why not make a non-powered recreational watercraft permit? Keep it the same price as the launch permits, 10.00 for a year, 18.00 for a two year permit? Make everyone who owns a kayak or canoe without an electric or gas engine to have a permit like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
I suggest this, if they need to get more money, why not make a non-powered recreational watercraft permit? Keep it the same price as the launch permits, 10.00 for a year, 18.00 for a two year permit?
Because they won't get the $2.91 back from the USCG (in the article) unless they are registered? This whole thing isn't much more than a federal money grab.

I do believe the price to register a non-powered craft like a kayak is the same as the launch permit (see link above) and they will have to administrate the registrations where launch permits are grab & go and available at a lot of locations.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think they got something wrong in that artical - Why would the PFBC who enforce all boating laws in Pa. only get $2.91 back from the USCG who do not enforce boating laws in Pa(with some exemptions around Philly, Pittsburgh, and Lake Erie)?

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page