boating mistakes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

boating mistakes?

lets throw out some good ol stories about mishaps when boating or something important to not forget. lets see how much humor we can add to this for the viewers,lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: boating mistakes?

i'll start by saying that I learned most of my tricks or earned most my knowledge through good old hard way.

never forget the plug in the boat, your shoes will get wet and your partner will hit the panic button!!
also ask all riders upon getting on your boat if they have any fears such as spiders or snakes!! it was embarrassing having a full grown man threatin to jump off the boat if I didn't remove the spider. and just as bad havin a guy swingin a seven foot ore at a water snake like it was an anaconda,ha ha ha ha ha ....... the good ol times
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I fell while walking into a canoe that was half on land, and half in the water. I have great balance, but I guess not good enough. I got a little wet.

God Bless the USA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I forgot to tie the boat off as i launched. The boat kicked out and started floating down river. At least the swim happened in summer. Another time my buddy was backing me in. In our rush to fish we forgot to undo the transom straps. Well the boat filled up quick as I was yelling for him to pull out. Those happened in my old boat. My new boat is a pleasure to launch and retrieve. The only mishap so far has been tripping over the trolling motor pedal and going in head first.

Catch Photo Release
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 AM

A late 80's 25hp. Merc.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/YooHoo/Bernice/Lucy
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 AM

one night after drinking alot at camp a storm rolled in...well i ran out and covered the $1600 boat and left the jeep windons $30000 down and roof off and it was SOAKED...everyone still gets a kick out of that..well the boat is mine and the jeep the wife so I knew what to protect!

We Are...PENN STATE
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM

best thing about lake arthur is fishing or hanging out by the dam and watching newbies go full blast into the shallow zone and watching the boats come to a full stop as they hit 1 ft of water and look overboard like ??? It never fails everyday we are there

We Are...PENN STATE
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 AM

I think any vintage merc will do.

Launched once while a pile of slobs wouldn't get off the dock, and I swear I meant to put it into reverse, but I shot forward and trew all of them and their gear in the water. I hate people who fish from the dock, but I honestly felt bad for them.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had a buddy bowfishing with me one night and he reached down to retrieve an arrow and kept going. fell head first in the drink and just his legs were kickin out of the water. he jumped and said i'm good man! I said yeah, I can see that,lol funny part is it was the first night we met and this happened at like 3 am. i'll never stop laughing at that.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:50 PM

I was backing up the truck to get the little Jon boat out. My cousin was handling the boat. I told him to keep an eye out for the trailer. About 30 seconds after acknowledging me I hear "CRACK" He put the front of the boat into the trailer light....

My other cousin was helping me launch the bigger 16' Deep V I had spent all spring/summer rebuilding. This was it's maiden voyage. I back the truck up and he hooked up the trailer. For some reason he never locked the wheel jack up, just cranked it so it was off the ground. He waved me forward so I went. Heard a horrible snap sound. Snapped the locking pin right off the wheel jack. Brand new trailer wheel jack too.

He said "I didn't know it was supposed to lock up in place"

So neither of them help me anymore.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page