Trolling motor and battery questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Trolling motor and battery questions

I recently purcahsed my first boat a 16ft crestliner jonboat. I have a MK 55#thrust endura C2 transom mount troller for it and a 55 #thrust all terrain bow mount troller also. I am looking for 2 new batteries, one for each motor, to supply the power any suggestions on battery size and type would be a great help. Also i will use this boat mainly on an electric only dam so the transom mount will be main motor to get me two my fishing spots.

Any help would be appreciated

Shorty

Life is short...Slow down and enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
The Man

Re: Trolling motor and battery questions

any good deep cycle battery with a high cranking current would be fine. Just don't hook them together in paralell. Keep each one wired separate for each motor in case one dies the other will still get ya home.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

You dont need to worry about crankn amps on a trolling motor. I say if you can fit a 27 or 29 deep cycle then go that big. I have two of them in my boat. One for the motor, one for the bow motor.

Both mine are walmart batteries with an onboard minkota charger, no issues.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

I'm running 2 of the walmart batteries as well, group 29.. Definitely go the biggest battery you can afford/fit in your boat (group 27, 29, etc). It will help eliminate the chance of being stuck out there.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Biggest battery for each you can afford and like stated before wire them seperate. Also the manuals for the trolling motor also state they should have a fuse inline to keep from frying the motor should it ever become snagged up in weeds or fishing line. Failure to use the fuse will viod wattery should that problem happen. and also get youself a good charge meter and learn the usage of the motors and batteries. Deep cycles are made to be drained completley before recharge. Using 20% of a battery and recharging repeatedly will drasticly reduce charges, its not worth spending a small fortune on batteries to only get 1 season out of them.

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 AM

This is from Interstate Batteries regarding maintenance for deep cycle batteries.

http://rvdailyreport.com/News/ctl/Articl...-for-RVers.aspx

I use a built in charger on one boat and a Battery Minder on the other boat. Check out the reviews about the Battery Minder on Amazon.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page