rotten transom - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

rotten transom

i have a 1988 alumicraft phantom v-170 i got last year. the floor was rotten and i replaced it. last time out i noticed a gap between the motor mounting plate and transom. i tightened the bolts but when i looked at the inside the aluminum skin had pulled in from that side leaving a 1/4 in gap between it and the "cap". i'm assuming the transom is rotten and believe the motor and outer aluminum skin will need removed and all the wood replaced. has anyone ever done this or had it done? i think i could do it myself if i had time and space. i'm going to contact a few marinas and see what they say (how much) but thought i'd ask here if anyone had ever ran into this?

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: rotten transom

Sure you can do this yourself.
Here is a quick fix for now.
Take a 1X6 board and place it on the inside of the transom and screw it in with a few wood screws. If you could get away with a 2X6, I would do that instead. Depending on how wide your transom is now and how wide the clamps open up on your motor. Not knowing what motor you got hanging off the back.
Now if the transom starts to waiver when you do this, the whole thing is rotten and I wouldn't mount an engine on the back without risking losing it. When you run those screws into the transom,if they bite hard, you know you got good wood inside. If they pull out and junk comes out...well you know the answer.
Big D
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Banned

If you have rot in the transom, replace all the wood in it. Quick fixes have a habit if becoming big trouble at the worst possible time. Once wood starts to rot t spreads all over the wood and if you can't see the wood, it can lead to losing an engine, or worse, your life or someone elses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks for the ideas bigdady. i only plan on running it one more time this year and it seems solid now with it cranked down but i know i'm going to have to fix it before next year. its a 115 hp on the back.
first marina i called "no we don't do that". wth? i think the worst part will be getting that beast of a motor off. it would be nice if i had a spot where i could just lift and hang it without having to unhook everything. oh well i got a great deal on the boat and i really like it so i guess i'll figure it out as i go.
yep know what your saying john.

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:29 AM

http://www.transomrepair.net/

this stuff comes highly recommended over at the iboat forums. I think they use it more on fiberglass boats but it might work well for your application and won't rot out like wood will. It's also more expensive
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 AM
The Man

put a come along in a tree and yank the motor off, replacing a transom is pretty easy.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 AM

I did a 16' Sea Nymph. I was able to get the alumnium outer cover off and then used PT plywood to build a new transon.

I laminated the plywood to get the correct thickness and used a waterproof adhesive to put the pieces together. I also sealed the edges with epoxy and painted it before putting it in place.

BTW the rot started at the holes used for the engine mounting bolts. Make sure they are sealed if you try it.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
The Man

your not far away, want a job? lol

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 12:43 PM

Hey.... maybe the wife will let you buy a new boat if she wants to get Musky fishin' again!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
your not far away, want a job? lol
I had to do it on mine but I'd be hesitant to take on someone else’s.

Can you get to the wood? That was the scariest part for me, disassembling the transom. It took me a few days to do it because I had to take it apart and then make the new transom, paint and coat the wood.

BTW try to save the old transom to use as a template. I laid the old one on the new wood and cut it out. Also measure the thickness of the old transom so you will know how many and what thickness of the plywood you will have to buy. Also give yourself some clearence for the glue and the epoxy.

If you have any questions and I have an answer I'd be glad to help.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page