Wiring Navigation lights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Wiring Navigation lights

Putting navigation lights on my Jon boat... Any advice on wire guage to use? The run will be around 16feet. Plan to run to a toggle switch mounted on transom with an inline fuse to keep it simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM

Re: Wiring Navigation lights

I used 14 on my old boat.. either solder the ends or get marine grade to seal the wire..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
The Man

dj, sounds like you got it under control. I wire things like that all the time for people, and that is exactly what I would have done had you wanted me to do it.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM

That is how I wired up both of my boats. I used 14 Ga as well. I've had no issues at all with the wiring.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am about to wire an old 13' Whaler with navigation lights. It's a 1966 and the wiring has all been removed at some point. I ordered a 4 switch panel from Cabelas that looks pretty nice. How I'm going to put it all together I don't know. Does the wire need to be a special marine grade or would 14 gauge wire from the hardware store be okay? Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwrsusq
I used 14 on my old boat.. either solder the ends or get marine grade to seal the wire..
+1 Always crimp and solder your connection saves a lot of heartache and trouble shooting time
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Part of the Community

You'll either need two switches or a two position pull switch( like a headlight switch)so you are able to turn on both lights separately. Stern light on for when floating or anchored not under power and both lights when under power. I have mine on a two position pull switch. First click the white stern light comes on and second the bow light comes on.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papee
You'll either need two switches or a two position pull switch( like a headlight switch)so you are able to turn on both lights separately. Stern light on for when floating or anchored not under power and both lights when under power. I have mine on a two position pull switch. First click the white stern light comes on and second the bow light comes on.
Why not just have them both set to be on at the same time with one switch?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
The Man

the main purpose of factory installed lights being able to turn either both or just white light on is just to save battery power. We usually keep both on in the Ohio just to help our visibility to the tug boat traffic. The bulbs in these lights are so low powered it will never draw down a good marine battery even if on all night. So, the answer is either way will work

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papee
Why not just have them both set to be on at the same time with one switch?
The reason for navigation lights is to signal other boaters that are navigating in your area. The colored lights in the front lets the boater know which way you are headed at night.

As I said, when you are not under way the white stern light is the only light lit. This lets other boaters know that you are anchored and not moving. To display the correct lights you either need them on two switches or a switch that allows only the stern light on when needed.

This is all covered in your boating manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page