E15 causes ¯severe damage¯ to marine engines - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

E15 causes “severe damage” to marine engines

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 14pt">Department of Energy: E15 causes “severe damage” to marine engines</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">WASHINGTON </span>– The results from two studies conducted by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory on the effects of E15 on marine engines were released on Friday, showing that the gasoline and ethanol blend can cause issues including drivability, materials compatibility, increased emissions, and long-term durability in outboard, stern drive and inboard engines, according to the release.

The High Ethanol Fuel Endurance study tested the effects of E15 and E0 on four-stroke and two-stroke Mercury outboard engines that included the 9.9HP four-stroke, the Verado 300HP Supercharged four-stroke and the 200 EFI two-stroke.

In addition to increase fuel consumption in two of the engines, the study showed that E15 caused damage to two out of three outboards and complete failure in the Verado 300HP engine, as well as “degraded emissions performance outside of engine certification limits,” according to the release.

The results of the study reinforced the industry’s concerns about proper warning labeling at fueling stations. In September, the NMMA, along with the Engine Products Group, filed a suit challenging the rules regarding gas pump misuse controls for gas pumps containing up to 15 percent Ethanol.

According to the NMMA, the new rules would not do enough to prevent possible damage to marine engines from possible misfueling with E15 fuel, and petitioned to require E10 fuel to also be sold at gas stations.

“Current proposals by the ethanol industry to increase the amount of ethanol in gasoline should seriously concern all boaters and owners of other small engine equipment,” said Thom Dammrich, NMMA president. “Although NMMA strongly supports renewable fuels as a means to reduce America’s dependence on foreign sources of oil and improve the environment, there is growing evidence that ethanol is not the answer to America’s energy challenge.”

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Banned

Re: E15 causes “severe damage” to marine engines

Jeeze, they had to do a study? All they had to do was talk to boat owners about damage and automobile owners about bad milage.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 AM

I wish I could get real gas around saint marys...even if it was just for my boat.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 02:35 AM

I am very glad I have two stations near me where I can ethanol free gas for my toys

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM

I thought I saw that someone had a link that listed gas stations that have ethanol free gas. If anyone knows of such a link please post it up. Thanks!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is no question we are surrounded by idiots.. most of whom think we need another study..

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 12:17 PM

Is there a way to help prevent these issues if there are no E0 gas stations in your area?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.quicksilver-products.com/...d/fuel-system/

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 PM

I add 1 oz. of Seafoam per gallon of gas, and 3/4 oz. marine stabil per 6 gallons. I've done this for 14 years with no problems.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djknyork
I thought I saw that someone had a link that listed gas stations that have ethanol free gas. If anyone knows of such a link please post it up. Thanks!
maybe this link?

“did you get all that on camera sport?”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page