WARNING about boat registration - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

WARNING about boat registration

Keep your plates and boat registration up to date even if you don't use either. I'm trying to renew my trailer plate for my Bass Boat that I haven't used since '93 and I'm having a nightmare with the DOT.I have boat docks,so I don't really need a trailer no more except when I pull my boat out for the winter. I had it plated before and NOW they want a weight rating of the trailer or I can't renew. I want to take my boat up to camp and be legal. HAH!!So I call the MFG. and they don't have records that go that far back('84)The kid at DOT told me to weight everything. I said no way I don't have a valid plate EINSTIEN! OH,That's right he says. So I had to get a weight number from a dealer of a similar trailer since times were simpler back when and there is no metal tag on the trailer to tell me anything. I had the same trouble with DOT on licensing and getting new titles that I lost on a couple of old cars I had. I should have learned. I just wanted to alert my friends out there,keep your titles and plates handy and relatively new within a year or so. Not 20 or more yrs old. They don't keep the records that long.To them my trailer evaporated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 06:12 AM

Re: WARNING about boat registration

Just throw a cardboard tag on it saying plate lost and take it some place to scale it out. You would be amazed at the number of vehichles I see with cardboard tags. I am not saying to drive for weeks or months like that, but to just go get it weighed out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM
The Man

according to the State Police, using a homemade tag ( cardboard, paper, etc) is the same as altering your tag and is a finable offense. I know tons of people do it and get away with it, but it's your wallet and your risk of getting stopped and fined.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 12:43 PM

If you have the title you will be fine, just go to a tag place and apply for a new set. If you have problems stop by your local state reps office and see what they can do for you.
Like you I never renew my tag on the boat trailer because it is more of a winter storage rack then a trailer, and when I do run the trailer I just need to go a couple miles to the ramp and back to the driveway.
This year when I pulled the boat out it was Feb 2nd so the local Federales were not paying much attention to boat trailer tags. I see more guys getting stopped for light violations then for not having current tags, but legal is definitely cheaper in the long run.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

The title has no weight rating on it.Never needed a weight rating until now. The geniuses in HBG don't understand that. Next step is to get a new tag even if it's under a reconstruction or other classification plate and keep it up. Thanks for the suggestions.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM

A number of years ago I called DOT in HBG and asked when I would receive my trailer registration renewal form. They told me that my tag had been transferred to another boat trailer. I asked how they could do that and they told me another person registered a trailer with my serial number and they transferred the tag to them. I then said I need tags for my trailer and they said they would not issue tags to me because they already had a tag issued for my serial number. Man I lost it, but that did no good. It took about four months and my state reps intervention, but I finally got my tag and a call of apology from DOT. What a bunch they are.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page