Looking for canoe opinions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looking for canoe opinions

Went on a 60 mile canoe trip down the Allegeheny with the scouts. Saw 11 bald eagles, 6 deer including one baby that was sleeping where I found 2 good trees for my hammock, mom came to get him through camp at about 3 AM, a porucipine, bunch of squirrles, a bass (BIG) took flight next to our canoe, a carp fight, a bunch of herons, 100's of wood ducks (lots of babys) lots of geese, and a couple mallards.

Started on a Wed night, landed on a island and made camp after about 700 yards. Up the next morning and did 21 miles, then 23 miles, then 14, and finished Sun morning with 2. Pretty good trip, only one problem child. Almost all of them packed in a single back pack.

The son enjoyed the trip, and I did to. Both my daughters said it looked like fun.

I could use a suggestion on a canoe. If I buy it will be used so I could use advice on what to look out for.

The ones the scouts used were the std Grumman 16 footers and some of the personal ones looked like the same or similar make. They had approx 1" keel.

I was in a Mad river 14' fishing canoe like you see at Dicks. No keel but 2 channels.

There was a 16' old town Discover with what looked like a rounded keel, I didn't get to try that one.

I have been checking Craigslist and the 17' Grummans are from 450-600 and the Old Town Discover and Penobscot (seem similar) are 600 and up. I would go for the OT's but nothing within 200 mi of me. There is a Old Town Guide close for the same as a Grumman but the Guide seems like a cheap little brother in the Old Town line.
I like the Old Town Discover and Penobscot because of the capacity. They would be good for the family and when we do another long trip like this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for canoe opinions

I agree with your daughters. Looks like fun

MY GUN MY RIGHT !!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ran into a decent deal..

250.00 about a hour away. It was pretty crud covered so so brillo pads came out. First thing I did was get 5 cans of flat tan camo from TSC and paint the inside. I don't have a lot of time in canoes, but I know that the inside of a aluminum canoe is basicly a reflector oven.

I suggested camo-ing it in burnt orange and electric blue, and the kids were all for it........ I got a wild hair and broke out the Mothers Aluminim polish and the powerball, shes clean now.

Its a Grumman 17, standard of the industry.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Banned

very nice trip pics - love the morning fog/mist of the river.

for $250 - you scored well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good buy ! It pays to stay patient and keep looking. Enjoy it !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll stick w/ my Old Town a 1958 OTCA 16' wood and canvas...Gruman almost put them out of business w/ those tin canoes.

You are on the right track w/ the flat interior paint. You can expect some to polish off from sandy feet, etc. but this will kill most of the refletions. It looks to be in good condition, good luck your family wuill have hours of good fun w/ this canoe.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It appears to be a 1973 by the hull # I don't think it had a hard life, just layed around a lot.

I figure that it will get rubbed off some, there was some dark grey antiskid on the bottom, so it shouldn't be to reflective. The paint was 5 bucks a can so if I have to do 5 bucks worth of maintinance I can handle that.

Got a question for any who might know. What are the 2 holes (fore and aft) on the stem (?) My guess is it would be good for a carabiner or something for a rope or such.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmintmist
It appears to be a 1973 by the hull # I don't think it had a hard life, just layed around a lot.

I figure that it will get rubbed off some, there was some dark grey antiskid on the bottom, so it shouldn't be to reflective. The paint was 5 bucks a can so if I have to do 5 bucks worth of maintinance I can handle that.

Got a question for any who might know. What are the 2 holes (fore and aft) on the stem (?) My guess is it would be good for a carabiner or something for a rope or such.
I think the Grumans had a 'D'shaped loop/pin to attatch a line. I think threading a line thru the hole would cause it to wear real quick. A small 'clevis' would work look in the fastners area in Home Cheapo.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

picked up 2 SS 5/16 clevis's at Blowes over lunch. I have better luck there than Home Dumpster, except for large copper fittings.

I figure on weaving a eye on a rope so there is a grab handle and a carry loop/

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's a good deal and should work well on flat water or slow moving water. It is not going to handle the rapids a Discovery 17 would but you'd pay at least twice for one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page