Water condition question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Water condition question

I have a 14' Flat bottom boat and I usually run it in local lakes and the Schuylkill River. I've had it at Blue Marsh on really choppy/windy days and while not exactly a fun smooth ride it did manage to do ok.

I've been toying around with the idea of taking into the back bay (NJ) for crab, flounder and other fishing. I've seen people in them before but I'm a little nervous about water conditions. I'd prefer a semi-v or some other hull but it is what it is until I can buy another boat. Is there a website that has current water/wave conditions for the nj bays? I'd hate to plan a trip and drive all that way to find it's just too choppy.

Also is there a similar report for the Delaware river? I was down along the river last week and one day it was choppy as heck and the next it was a sheet of glass. I'd like to take it out in the Delaware River if the conditions are right as well.

I'm not planning on zipping up and down the river in shipping channels or across the bays etc. just want to get out and fish not too far from the shore as conditions permit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Banned

Re: Water condition question

The weather radio stations (NOAA) broadcast 24 hour continuous sea and weather conditions. If you go out on the big water you should have a marine radio on your boat, regardless of the size of the boat and you should use it. Weather can change very quickly. You also need to keep your eyes on the sky. I wouldn't take a 14' Jon boat out on the Delaware because if things kick up and you have to get off fast, it won't be pretty.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

That is my main concern. I have a radio that receives NOAA broadcasts. I'll look into a marine radio.

I'm also actively looking for a fiberglass skiff/modified-v or similar to use for those areas but my funding is limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Banned

Life is short man, don't make it shorter.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Sage

Soup...if your boat has a 48" bottom(1448 model) plus a modified V...you should be fine assuming you watch weather/water conditions just as in using any small craft.

I have fished in the Chesapeake plus inside VA coastal waters in my Lund 16' w/48" bottom/modified V with no problem<span style="font-weight: bold">(see below pic).. </span>I have since moved on to a Lund 16' SSV full V model which handles the chop much better.

Best of luck!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. That's a nice boat you have. I have a 1436 which makes things a little more difficult.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
I wouldn't take a 14' Jon boat out on the Delaware because if things kick up and you have to get off fast, it won't be pretty.
Besides wind you have to be concerned about tugs and big ships on the Delaware. There is a lot of ship traffic up to Fairless.

Flat bottomed boats should be restricted to calm water and sheltered areas.

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Banned

Loggy, he wouldn't be fine even if the boat wasn't a flat bottom. The Delaware river has a very strong current, I know, I boated the Delaware, when in conjunction with a blowup of wind in the opposite direction would be a nightmare for a flat bottom boat. As you know, it doesn't take long to be in trouble when you are under boated.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help. I was right to be cautious before but it looks like I'll wait until I get the larger boat to fish the Delaware.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Loggy, he wouldn't be fine even if the boat wasn't a flat bottom. The Delaware river has a very strong current, I know, I boated the Delaware, when in conjunction with a blowup of wind in the opposite direction would be a nightmare for a flat bottom boat. As you know, it doesn't take long to be in trouble when you are under boated.
Amen John..it would have to be one of those very few calm days fer sure. I agree..best not to take chances especially early in the boating season when there are cold water conditions.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page