Boat Trailer Tires?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Boat Trailer Tires??

I can't seem to get more than 2-3 years out of my boat trailer tires not due to tread wear but side wall cracking.. Size is 5.30x12. I'm thinkin of going to auto radial type if available. I am constantly dipping in saltwater so mebbie that's a factor.

In parking/storage, I keep tires off ground on 2X8 wood plus cover with white covers. I just ordered some of One Grand rubber protectent which is supposed to the the best out there. http://www.onegrand.com/

Any other boaters out there xperience problems with tires plus whut do you do to prevent?

Thanks!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Boat Trailer Tires??

Same here. I just tube them and keep on rolling, but I never travel more than 20 miles with that trailer. My big boat has 14" auto tires on the trailer, I have never changed them yet.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 03:27 AM

I used to go through a set of tractor supply tires every year or two. Kept them off the ground, and sprayed with tire protectant, they would still get dryrot cracks. I finally ponied up for a set of maxxis, and I got 3 years before giving the boat to my dad, and he has had it for 3, and they still look good. I don't know if they make your size, but they do hold up well.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Sage

Thanks guys. I reading that many of the common "non-water based" tire protectents actually expedite dry rot despite them makin tires look purdy for a while.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

I think one of the problems is many tires sat around on a self for years before you buy them and are already starting to break down without ever being on a vehicle. I got a big pro rate discount on replacing tires on my wife's car that the sidewalls were showing dryrot cracks after only two years and those bad boys cost 200.00 each. The manager of the place I buy my tires said the government is working on mandating a system for tires that removes them from being sold after a certain period of time. I don't know if that will apply to small trailer tires or if it will happen.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Pretty good poin John, I would imagine the more odd the tire size, the longer it is on the shelf.

I applaud you loggy, for doing proper maintenance on your trailer. Where I work, I see alot of trailers, and half of them shouldn't be on the road. I've always given way more distance following a trailer for the simple fact that alot of people don't realize that leaving it sit for 6 months in the yard is worse than puting 6,000 miles a year on them, flat spots in tires, pitted bearrings/races, poor grounds,ect.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

A good friend used to sell boats for a big boat sales company. I used to help him deliver new boats and bring back the trades. Some were by water, others by land. We delivered a new boat one day to Northeast MD, showed the new owner the systems and went over operation and then hooked up to the trade in and headed back to Lancaster. about 12 miles from Lancaster the left trailer tire passed us and center punched an oncoming car in the grill. We stopped as soon as we could and pulled off the road and went to the other vehicle to offer assistance and make sure no one was hurt. The wheel took out the radiator but thankfully no one was hurt but there was one upset and scared woman who had no clue about what just happened to her. Turned out the lugs were rusted so badly they rusted off and just let go. I doubt those trailer wheels were pulled and checked for years.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 12:53 PM

That is scary John,

When I bought my first boat(12'), I went to pull the trailer by hand to hitch it up, it wouldn't budge, it only weighed a few hundred pounds. The guy I bought it off said she'll lossen up when its warm...Bull! I pulled one wheel in his driveway, and I don't think that wheel was looked at since the 70's .

I got directions to napa, and replaced/packed the bearings and races before I moved it. 20 minute job per side may save a life and/or a trial. I now inspect/repack every year. Heck, even a quick touch of the hubs after going highway speed can tell you alot.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread loggy.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:12 PM

I always use radial tires on my two trailers. I also remove them when I store my boats for the winter. I also spray them down with that tire "wet shine" stuff. I was told it helps prevent dry-rotting and UV damage.

Never Misses
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Guys...thanks for the input. I think my saltwater use may have something to do with it too. In & out of saltwater plus sun beating down on them when in ramps lot likely puts the hurt to rubber. I'm lookin fwd to tryin the One Grand Rubber Treatment.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page