fish finder - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
The Man

fish finder

my old boat was a 71 and i think the fish finder my have been too. lol it told depth and showed fish all the time. lol i liked that one.
my "new" boat has a humming bird wide view that i am guessing is 10 years old. i can't get this thing to show much of anything. when drifting or trolling. it will show the bottom but nothing in between unless i'm in like 15 foot or less. like when going over a weed bed. then it "says" there are fish but i think its reading weeds as it only shows them on the bottom.
my question is..... how do i know if its my transducer, unit, set-up, or i'm just too stupid to run it?

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Banned

Re: fish finder

It may be your last choice..lol!!! Hey real mountain men don't use fish finders.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Go to their website, you can probably download the manual for it, and set it up properly, or at least get to know how to read it. I did this with the eagle unit that came with my boat.

Have your series/model number...

http://www.humminbird.com/support/ProductManuals.aspx

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM

It took me a little time to get all the adjustments right for mine. It doesn't show the "fish" symbol all the time (actually rarely) but I know what type of marks are most likely fish and use that. Might be a sensitivity issue as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:18 AM
The Man

First thing, <span style="text-decoration: underline">TURN OFF</span> the fish ID. Its a waste of time looking at fish symbols on the screen. Some depth finders actually look for the fish's air bladder, then sets the size symbol accordingly. Learn to set up the graph, play with the sensitivity and other settings.

Second, its a depth finder. My graphs are 20 years old and still work. After playing around all these years, I can still get some good arches. Not all the time but I do get some. I use the one graph for ice fishing as well. It can be set up to even show you when the bait is off the hook. This is done by playing around with the units sensitivity, and learning about the size of the echo it returns.

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 AM

You may also have it set on BOTTOM LOCK . It will only look & show fish on the bottom . Say , if your fishing for walleye . Turn off Bottom Lock and it should act normal .
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
The Man

thanks guys. i found the manual on the humming bird site. big help.

baldy,
thats why they are called mountain men and not fishermen. we NEED fish finders. it ain't like the darn things leaver tracks and i've already drown 3 dogs.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page