cold weather life vest use - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

cold weather life vest use

Out on the boat at Pinchot state park on Mon. all day for my 2nd fishing trip with the boat this spring. As I got back, I suddenly remembered seeing a new law requiring use of a life vest from Nov.1-April 30. Never gave it a thought either trip, first one wife and little guy where with me, of course he wore his the whole time. Thinking back, although I saw a good many other fisherman both times out, I don't really recall any of them having life vests on. I wasn't paying attention to it, but I can think of a couple from Monday who like me had only t-shirts on enjoying the sun. Just wondering what everyone else is seeing, and if it looks like much enforcement going on. I imagine a lot of people don't know about it yet, and they'll excuse at least the first time this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Re: cold weather life vest use

It starts Nov 2012 and is for boats less than 16ft

http://fishandboat.com/boatrecap.pdf

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:54 AM

Its a good rule and should include any boat under 25'

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtrehntr
It starts Nov 2012 and is for boats less than 16ft

http://fishandboat.com/boatrecap.pdf

Excellent Law!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the link, and pointing out it doesn't start till this Nov. Completely missed the year on the date, explains why no one was letting us know we where illegal, and why I didn't know about this till after waterfowl season. I will agree it is an excellent piece of advice to follow, but question whether we needed legislation on this. I could name hundreds of things that are dangerous and cost lives, some many more lives than cold weather boating, yet we allow people to assess the danger themselves and make their own choices. You can't make everything that increases a persons chance of death illegal.

And I disagree with the way the law is worded. Everything I see says if your on a boat you must wear a life preserver. As a duck hunter with a boat blind, most of my boat time in the cold weather months is spent anchored in less then 2 foot of water in cover at the edges. I can wear my life jacket on the way out and back, but there's no way I'll spend 4 hours wearing it, trying to shoot with it on???, when it won't EVER save a life in this situation. I guess if they check me out, I'll have to rely on the officers, or judge, to have the common sense to understand this. I think seeing how waterfowl hunters are a main group whose lives they are trying to save with this law, they should have included wording stating they not need be worn when anchored in less then 5 foot of water at the edge.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Dumb law and one I will be breaking every year once it goes into effect. Seat belts; hate that law too even though I wear one every time I get in a vehicle.

Should be my choice to wear one or not, no matter what time of year it is.

Of course, JMO...

Suburban redneck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Sage

YUP...dem PFBC folks don't have a clue! lol

Hope violators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Compliance will help reduce dedicated rescue teams being put in harms way. As for those continual violators thinkin they are above the law...such cocky/bold violators should be taken off the water permanently. I comply 100% & respect ALL USCG and PFBC regs. Safe boating/operating a watercraft impacts many more lives than <span style="font-weight: bold">just your own. </span>

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not really. Just more government interference in our daily lives. That is a good one though, banning someone from boating because they aren't wearing a life vest. Thanks for the chuckle. See ya on the flipside.

Suburban redneck.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM
TEE

Time for an inflateable PFD for me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:51 PM

Luckily my boat is registered as exactly 16'. As i have to pay the higher registration fee I will be allowed to use my judgement. If I fished the river more and when I do I will definatly wear my inflatable, but I doubt I will wear it when only targeting trout on the little local lake after the winter stocking.

P.S. The monkey really freaks DennyF out
If you stand in front of tanks the tanks are gonna win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page