mercury 7.5 tilt? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

mercury 7.5 tilt?

so this might sound like a dumb question but here it goes.
I recently bought a mercury 7.5 late 70's early 80's model. I have tuned it up and have it running good. my only issue is I can't for the life of me get the motor to tilt. I am use to Jonson/evinrudes and have never used a mercury outboard before that wasn't power trimed. I have located the tilt lock, but it seams there is something else I need to be doing to get it to tilt. is there a switch or button I need to push? Im afraid to get this on a boat and not be able to tilt it and tear the lower unit off it while trailing or mooring. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Re: mercury 7.5 tilt?

Try with the gear selector in the fwd position. On some that's where it needs to be to tilt.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

You shouldn't be towing with the engine tilted up unless you have a bar from the lower unit to the trailer to carry the weight. The transom is made for weight to be straight down, when you tow with the engine titled up the weight of the engine is behind the transom and can cause it to flex and crack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

john s.
I do agree the motor shouldn't be up towing down the road...im more concerned about loading and unloading. its a long shaft motor and I don't want to knock the lower unit off while loading and unloading at the docks. im not even sure if this is going to be a issue or not but would like to be able to tilt it if it is. since not all ramps are the same steepness.

Taterdavid.
ill have to give that a shot i did not think of this. but i guess if i did i wouldn't be asking for help on here lol. thanks again.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

If engine will not raise up easily when you lift up on the lower part of the engine, then your tilt tube may be dry. Those engines are pretty simple. I've owned a few and don't recall seeing anything other than the flat tilt support. Might want to take one of the grease fittings out of the tube first and see if it is rusty in there. if so, soak inside there with WD40 and try and work the motor up and down a bit. If it's just a little dry in there, pump some grease into both fittings with a grease gun until it comes out of the ends to see if that helps loosen things up a bit. Wish I could be of more help.

Happiness is a fine Mauser build.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Some of the older mercurya you had to have in forward hear to raise motor. It was a safety thing so it wouldn't raise up while you tried to pull start them.

Not sure if that's the model you have but worth a try.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

so after fooling around with every switch button or what might have looked like on, i finely pulled it of the stand and pulled on the clamp bracket and put my foot on the motor shaft and pushed and was able to get it to tilt. it was vary tight. i may have to look into the grease fittings and making sure things are loosened up. there appears to be plenty of grease but im not aware of when or how much this motor was ever tilted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page