Found the problem with my Chris Craft ! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Found the problem with my Chris Craft !

Last year I told every one about my boat being given to me and the last owner could not get it on plain . I did get it to plain out but took alot of work to do it . Well last fall when I was closing it up for the winter I found out why . It was a sinking boat ! Yes there was a whole in the bottom of the boat that some one used the net glass with resson to fix it and there was thousands of little wholes that did not seal . I will be fixing that in a month or so for this summer . Can not wait to play with it this summer !

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Re: Found the problem with my Chris Craft !

If the boat has been leaking that long there is a good chance that the part of the hull under the gel coat is saturated with water. If so you will need to do more than repair a poor patch, you will need to let the boat sit and dry, perhaps even sand off the old repair to expose the inside to the air. I don't know where you live if there are any boat surveyors around but if I were you I would have someone use a moisture meter on the boat before I repaired the leak because if the hull is saturated you will be sealing it in where it will do damage and give you a lot more weight than you need to carry. Is it possible your boat was kept in the water all season for several years? If so the repair may have been blisters that opened into lots of tiny little holes and some big bubbles on the gel coat. Fiberglass, contrary to popular thought is not water proof. It will absorb water and when it does blisters and small holes will follow. The water intrudes into the hull between the layers of glass cloth and resin and will eventually destroy the hull unless repaired.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I found the problem while I was closing it and putting it into storage . It has been sitting for five months and it looks like the boat came down on something and then some one tried to fix it with One layer of glass mat . They did a bad job at that . I am planning on making shore it is nice and dry all throw before I do the repair . No seance doing it more then once .

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 04:28 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

Might want try and get some air-flow up through the floor as well to allow any trapped evaporation to escape. A ceramic heater on low might help speed up the process. But, you got to have a vent or two in there somewhere. Does the boat have any access panels in the floor?

Happiness is a fine Mauser build.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Part of the Community

Many of those fiberglass boats are filled with floatation foam. Basically its a 2 part, expandable foam that is poured into the voids and and in between stringers after construction of the boat. While it is considered a closed cell foam, after long exposure to water, it does begin to soak up a TON of water. You will never dry it out. The only way to dry out the foam is it remove it and repour new foam. I had to take the deck off my boat and literally dig out the old foam with a shovel and sawzall. It was not fun at all. It was amazing how much water that foam was holding. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but replacing the old foam is the only way to fix it. Ive heard of people rigging up a vacuum pump to try to suck the water out, but that doesnt get it all. If you were having trouble getting the boat to plane, i think you have a lot of water in there. Water is very heavy. Can you tell where the old water line was on the boat compared to where it sits in the water now?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page