Advice needed on trolling motor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Advice needed on trolling motor

Any recomendations on size and brand, dependability, thrust and bang for the buck. Its for a 16' jon boat I do know I want a bow mounted with foot controls Never had one and would appreciate some advice before buying one Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Advice needed on trolling motor

Terrova with I-Pilot, 55lb if just going 12v. It's worth the money and there's a rebate out right now. If you buy it from Sportsmans Guide as a member you'll pay just over a $1000 and have 4-months to pay it off. I would wait for free shipping event and also since they dont have a location in Pa. you wont pay sales tax.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:01 PM

I currently have a Minn Kota V2 Powerdrive 55lb on my 16ft Crestliner. I plan on upgrading to a 80lb Terrova with the I-Pilot this month. Going to sell my V2 is anyone is interested. Low hours on it, probably ask about $350. The new Terrova is close to $1500.

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
The Man

MinnKota 55# should be plenty.
Your next issue will be 12 or 24 v.....which will be determined by space and load capacity, lenght of use(fishn time), and funds....an $80 wally special or a $200 gel

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:02 PM

My last Minn Kota was from the 80's, and still works fine from what I hear. I wasn't gentle with it at all, stumps, boulders, bottom, it hit em' all. Granted, I replaced the prop on it once, but that ain't bad.

I'm now in the market again, and I'm looking at the Minn Kota Edge model in 55lbs. I like that they still have a utilitarian model foot controlled unit. I haven't looked too hard at the bow mount bracket since they got rid of that lawn mower rip cord, I'll cross that road in a month or so.

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Regular Visitor

I am also looking a the Terrova and I-Pilot have peaked my interest, but [censored] that is alot of money for a trolling motor. I also think I am going to stay away from the cable steering also. Very hard to use when one leg is up in the air in rough water, although I'm getting a "leaner" or saddle seat up front to make things easier in rough waters.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Terrova with the auto-pilot is the berries,I use one on a large lake in Pa.where we troll live bait for stripers and you set your course hit auto pilot and go to rigging lines and don't have to worry about being blown off course or going in a circle while you are rigging. Couldn't fish this lake the way we do it without auto-pilot. Then after you get a fish hooked up you can fight the fish without worry where the boat is headed. Getting a 25lb striper in the boat takes two people for best results, and that leaves no one to mind the boat if your fishing just two people. Auto-pilot just flat out works.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 PM

Just saw the Terrova with the I-Pilot comes in either a 60" or 45" shaft. One may be too long(definitely) and the other too short for my boat. They make one in 54" but not with the I-Pilot .
Not sure if my Powerdive V2 is 48" or 54".

Never Misses
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the advise seems like the minn kotas are the way to go now i gotta start searching for a good deal to get the wife onboard so to speak LOL
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 04:15 PM
MrC
Hooked on HuntingPa

Minnkota anything gets my vote hands down. I had one Motor Guide cable steer and it was a joke. Stiffer than heck.

Happiness is a fine Mauser build.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page