Buying boat/trailer with no title. Easy to get? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Buying boat/trailer with no title. Easy to get?

If I would buy a small 14ft jon boat and trailer with no titles. Is it easy to get titles for them with just a bill of sale? Or what about just the boat? It will only have a electric motor, no gas. Just wanted to know because seen some that say the trailer does have title, but boat doesnt. Or both boat/trailer has no title. They are cheap too. Im thinking it may be a hassle, but figured would ask here 1st.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 PM

Re: Buying boat/trailer with no title. Easy to get?

I bought a boat about 8 years ago and only needed the bill of sale and a hull number. Very easy to do. The trailer i'm not so sure. The boat I bought was a 27'. A quick call to a title agent and notary will answer your question.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

A lot of smaller older boats are not titled. You can get them titled but it isn't mandatory. You will need to title the trailer with Penn Dot. A Notary Public can tell you what you need to do and what you need. You will need a bill of Sale for both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

The Lancaster county Court of Common Pleas web site self help center has a fill in form for getting title to an automobile when a title is not available. You may have to change the form for Berks County. And supply a mandatory cover sheet required by the state supreme court.

Many states have a simplified procedure for obtaining a title for vehicles coming out of unclaimed storage or abandoned vehicles, titles long lost etc. Pennsylvania does not. And Penn Dot is far less than helpful. They require a specific court order. I purchased a really old boat trailer in PA, no title. But I lived in Virginia. A notarized bill of sale from the seller and having a state police officer inspect it and run for stolen vehicle check was all that was required in Virginia then.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:02 AM

Been There ... Done That. DO NOT BUY A TRAILER WITHOUT A CLEAN TITLE EVER !!! As has been said, a small boat isn't a problem. I got very lucky on a trailer. This has been discussed before but here's what happened to me. My father in laws neighbor was selling an old boat trailer that he had bought at least 10 years prior. He bought it for cash and never got the title transferred. He just illegally put a plate from another trailer he did have a title for on it. Anyway, like a moron, I bought it to put my small boat on. I tried to get a title and plate and found out the hard way that it doesn't work like that in PA. By a miracle, this guy managed to find the name of the person he bought it from. After I did some detective work I was able to contact her. She could have told me to take a flying leap but fortunately, she was nice enough to meet me at a Notary and we did all the proper paperwork. NEVER BUY A TRAILER LIKE THAT !!!!!

"Into every generation a slayer is born... a chosen one."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are alot of notaries that are not up to speed either. I have done alot of re-titles for trailers. Its best to go to a larger, messenger type notary. They can do it all right at the counter and you leave with whatever you need. I have found it best just to claim a reconstructed trailer title. The notary does not see the trailer, nor do they care. My local police chief signs the paper when it comes back, and you are good to go, pretty painless. What I am saying is, its more simple to get a recon. title and Vin for a trailer than it is to try to track down the original stuff.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 02:38 PM
The Man

re-constructed and homemade trailer now must be put through a certified trailer inspection shop, fill out a form, have 4 pics taken, and get a notary to send it in, but only Harrisburg can issue the title, causing often a considerable wait. There are those who circumvent this law, but you won't catch me doing it because the fine, if caught, can be quite steep. Cost to legally do this process usually runs around $75 on the average.
Small boats that have a registration, you'll need the registration card if from PA, or, if you buy it from out of state, a title if that state uses them, or a bill of sale. It's hard to get a registration for an old boat that never had one, but it can be done. Easiest all around is to only buy that which is properly registered and titled if applicable.

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't buy a trailer without the title. The cost and process to get it titled it not worth it. If you like the boat do what I did and buy the boat and pick up a trailer separate if you can. One with a title.

I was able to pick up my trailer from a marine dealer. It was used but in good condition and the price was right.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Wow, I did not know they changed the law. Oh well, the truth is that most guys in PA with multiple toys just switch around a trailer plate. Not saying its right, but pretty standard in a state that makes it as difficult as possible to get trailer titles.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:46 AM
The Man

I wouldn't do it either. Been there...done that. Cost me a bunch of money for some scrap metal. At least I had the title to the trailer.

The boat was never transfered, and there was no owners card. I sent the paper work into the PF&BC, and nothing ever came of it. I scapped the boat, and bought another.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page