outboard prop - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

outboard prop

does anybody know what the best prop would be a 2 , 3 ,or 4 prop , does one hole shoot u better from the start, i am just talking for fishing getting to one spot to another, is there major differance in the 3, i guess what i am asking is what will get me to a spot the fastest and the lest roughest, i understand it depends on the boat and motor and how many people are in the boat.but they sell them so there has to be some sort of differance in them, right now i run a 3 blade 11 pitch on a mercury 25 hp, thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM

Re: outboard prop

First your speed is pretty good have you fine tuned your setup.?
Motor vertical height can give you more speed.careful trim as well.If you have no ventilation problems your probably not high enough.You can raise the motor by adding 1/4 inch sticks on top of the transom.Raise it untill venting becomes a problem.Be sure clamps have a good grip and it pumps water.Under ideal conditions you could gain a couple of mph.
Generally dropping pitch will produce less speed and more hole shot.
I bet she jumps up quick.Generally 1" pitch change results in a 200 rpm change.You gained close to 600 rpm.You may have a little more slip going on.
Sticking with a 3 blade prop is best for all around situations.
Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks birch812, and yes she jumps fast, i dont think i have a problem, she goes good, i am one of those people always looking to get the most out of equipment, so i will take your advice and stick with the 3 blade, thanks again for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
The Man

Depending on the sive of the boat you should be able to increase the pitch without much loss in hole shot. I have a 25hp merc on my 1448 mod V jon boat. When I got the motor used it had a 15 pitch 3 blade prop. It actually had more speed than what felt safe in that boat. I was geting arount 28-30 mph in it, but the hole shot was something that was left to be desired.

After a metal to rock contact...I changed to a 13 pitch. It now tops out around 22-23 mph, and the hole shot is good.

My boat is fairly light. I only have plywood decking, 2 seats, trolling motor, battery and six gallons on gas.

Venison - The other fast food
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Michigan Wheel's website has a section where you can plug in what you have and what you want to get a prop recommendation.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys for the info, i have a mod v jon also, its a 2072, it does ok , i was just looking to get the most of that 25 ,and maybe i am, maybe thats all she got to give,just dident know if 4 blade would get me over that edge,thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page